No Brake Lights... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Brake Lights... HELP

So here's the deal. The brake lights on my F-250 aren't working at all. The fuse is good. The park interlock is working properly. But, no brake lights. It won't even power up my trailer brake controller when I hit the brakes like it normally does. I'm thinking it could be a bad brake light switch on the pedal, but then I'd think that it wouldn't come out of park. I've had issues with the switch before where I'd kick it and knock it out of whack, but it could be adjusted (fiddled with) back to normal. I can manually move the switch but the lights still don't come on. Ideas?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
sounds like that switch to me, but yah weird if you can get it out of park

Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah I know... Its weird. Every story I've heard about the switches going bad, they can't get them out of park. But, earlier I was playing with the switch and got the brake controller to kick on. I'm gonna call my parts guy tomorrow and see what he can get me a switch for...

Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
did you see my post in "im bored" about bio diesel?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM
3 years later... No Pat, didn't see the post. Or I don't remember it.

New brake light switch came today ($13 + S&H from the dealer). Install took 5 mins, and I have brake lights again.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
But isn't the brake light switch somehow integrated with the master cylinder? If so, it can fail and can be replaced. I don't think there's anything inside on your brake pedal.

Someone with more automotive knowledge than me will immediately correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The parking brake is a mechanical thing and the switch for it is right there in the cabin above your parking brake. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the brake lights. (Stop, set your parking brake. Get out and check your brake lights - are they on?)

- Jack

And maybe I'm totally wrong on this. Sorry for the post. I don't think I read the last entry too well and jumped in before thinking.

Last edited by JackandJanet; 04-21-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Usless post, since the problem was resolved - Good on you!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
But isn't the brake light switch somehow integrated with the master cylinder? If so, it can fail and can be replaced. I don't think there's anything inside on your brake pedal.
In the pedal? The switch and the master cylinder are kind of integrated, I guess. The switch is mounted on the rod that goes from the brake pedal to the master cylinder.

And no, the parking brake isn't connected to the brake lights.

Quick Reply: No Brake Lights... HELP