A little confussing with the stock wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little confussing with the stock wiring

I'm replacing the chrome front bumper without fog lamps on my '07 Screw with a painted bumper with fog lamps. I bought a factory main light switch with fog lamp option. If I've understood everything I've heard and read about the fact that there is no wire harness ready to plug OEM fog lamps into, then why would Ford wire the main light switch and the correct fog lamp relay wired up and connected as it is on mine. I've got a copy of the factory wire schematics and the correct relay for the fog lamps is plugged into the correct socket in the Central Control Box and there is continuity from the mail light switch wire to the relay. I'm having a hard time believing that all I'm going to have to do is find the wire going to the low beam side of the headlights. and wire the other lead coming off of the fog lamps to ground.
Has anyone done this or have a constructive opinion?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
It may be that just making one harness for all is cheaper than making two separate ones for the same vehicle. Then they just stick a bumper on there without the fog lights, and no one would be able to tell anyways, or you get fog lights and they connect the wires.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
It may be that just making one harness for all is cheaper than making two separate ones for the same vehicle. Then they just stick a bumper on there without the fog lights, and no one would be able to tell anyways, or you get fog lights and they connect the wires.
I don't think it's going to be that easy. The part of the wire harness that the fog lamps are suppose to connect to is not there. in order to connect the fog lamp wires, I have to find the correct wire in the harness somewhere in the engine compartment and splice the fog lamp wiring into it. You see, on the trucks that came from the factory with fog lamps, there are wires with connectors already there that the fog lamps are plugged into.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Oops, I thought you were saying the opposite, that the connectors were there.

So, I'm guessing this is what you're asking then?

If you want to use the fuse relay, run the power wire to the relay. I would imagine that being the "relay," that it will make the fogs come on with the low beam. This part is where I can't really be of help as I haven't done it this way before, but I think the fog lamp relay is where it should be wired to.

Last edited by roushstage2; 01-28-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I've already traced a wire that's active from the new main light switch to the fog lamp relay. If that wire is there, I would hope that the wires from the relay that should go to the fog lamps is in the harness somewhere. I'll just have to track down the correct colored wire.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I did this mod on my 2006 screw xlt. The only wires I had to run was from the fuse box at passenger side kick panel to the fogs and a ground wire to each. My truck WAS wired from the headlight switch to the fuse box, with relay and fuse already there. One way you can check is plug in your new switch, try to pull it on for fogs, if the little fog light on the switch lights up then you are all set up to the fuse box. You can actually hear the relay click as well. I can provide you more info when I get home from work tomorrow. I just tapped into the correct output from the fuse panel. I will get back to you on which pin & connector.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by tmd07
I did this mod on my 2006 screw xlt. The only wires I had to run was from the fuse box at passenger side kick panel to the fogs and a ground wire to each. My truck WAS wired from the headlight switch to the fuse box, with relay and fuse already there. One way you can check is plug in your new switch, try to pull it on for fogs, if the little fog light on the switch lights up then you are all set up to the fuse box. You can actually hear the relay click as well. I can provide you more info when I get home from work tomorrow. I just tapped into the correct output from the fuse panel. I will get back to you on which pin & connector.
How did you end up with an '04/'05 front bumper on your '06? Tell us about the accident if you haven't already. Looking forward to getting the information about the wiring. Doesn't the fog lamps have to be tapped into the low beam headlights or is the low beam curcuit already wired through the relay?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by STXDriver
..<snip>...Doesn't the fog lamps have to be tapped into the low beam headlights or is the low beam circuit already wired through the relay?
Check the wiring diagrams you have.
The fog lamps are not wired via the low beams, the coil on the fog lamp relay derives ground via the high beam element, so they only work with the low beams.
Once power is applied to the high beams, the coil on the fog lamp relay has power on both sides, and de-energizes, returning the normally open contacts to the normal position, and turns the fog lamps off.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Check the wiring diagrams you have.
The fog lamps are not wired via the low beams, the coil on the fog lamp relay derives ground via the high beam element, so they only work with the low beams.
Once power is applied to the high beams, the coil on the fog lamp relay has power on both sides, and de-energizes, returning the normally open contacts to the normal position, and turns the fog lamps off.
That's what I thought. I'm not a very good electrical schematic reader. What you said makes more sense. The low bean headlight circuit probably wouldn't carry the headlights and the fog lamps at the same time if they were wired together.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by STXDriver
How did you end up with an '04/'05 front bumper on your '06? Tell us about the accident if you haven't already. Looking forward to getting the information about the wiring. Doesn't the fog lamps have to be tapped into the low beam headlights or is the low beam curcuit already wired through the relay?
Here is the link to the accident forum. The pictures are no longer showing but they are in my gallery: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=265348
The 05 truck was totaled. I got an 06 same color and options but it had no fogs, so I did the mod. Soon as I find my notes, I will post where I ran my wires from on that fuse/relay box. Everything on mine was set-up up to the fuse/relay box. Just had to find the correct place to connect to and ran the hot wire out to each fog, then ground wire to each.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STX clean out your PM box! tried to reply to your pm and it was full

What i was gonna say has basically been said here already.

If you have power at your swtich and all the way to your relay then you are fully wired for them (inside, fused and relayed) , you just need to
A.
Find the existing relay output to fog wire and extend it to the fogs.
or
B.
Tap into your relay (if no wire is present) and run it out to your fogs.

TMD sounds like hes got this figured out.
Good luck

Old 02-04-2008, 10:15 AM
OK.. found the info and snapped a picture too. This is a picture of the fuse panel in the passenger side kick panel. The connector where you need to tap into is at the top left of this fuse panel. It is a 12 pin connector and is outlined in pink. The red arrow is pointing to where I added the pin and ran from this location to each fog light. I bought a pigtail kit with the same size pins, removed one of them and added it to this one. It is pin#12 that is the fog light out. In this view, pin#12 is the very top/right pin. Then just run a ground wire to each.

Last edited by tmd07; 02-04-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by tmd07
OK.. found the info and snapped a picture too. This is a picture of the fuse panel in the passenger side kick panel. The connector where you need to tap into is at the top left of this fuse panel. It is a 12 pin connector and is outlined in pink. The red arrow is pointing to where I added the pin and ran from this location to each fog light. I bought a pigtail kit with the same size pins, removed one of them and added it to this one. It is pin#12 that is the fog light out. In this view, pin#12 is the very top/right pin. Then just run a ground wire to each.
Thanks a lot. I have been looking for that connection point for a while. I just got through looking at the fuse panel trying to figure out where the output wire should come from. It seems strange that Ford would wire the switch harness all of the way to the fuse panel and install the correct relay and stop right there but it appears that it is exactly what they did. One last question, what gauge wire did you use to the fog lamps? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by STXDriver; 02-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: A little confussing with the stock wiring