Windshield washer keeps pumping, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield washer keeps pumping, wtf?

Gotta strange situation, not really uncommon by looking at searches. I go to turn the washer on, wipers off, it pumps fine but often won't turn off. If I turn the wipers on, or full, it usually makes it quit, but not enough to be sure. Sometimes it stops as soon as I let go of the push botton. It is on a 2000, and I just replaced the multifunction switch thinking it was kaput. It, the old one , kept the blades at high speed even when off, plus the washer not quitting so a replacement was a good idea. Since, the problems are basically just the pump not shutting off right away. Is replacing the MFS enough, maybe the connectors from the existing harness are crap and need a clean? or dielectric grease? Or is the pump going? If so, how much do they run $$$? I think there is gremlins, but who knows. This basically started this winter too, maybe a cold thing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Alright, added to this, when the key is turned back all the way, for accessories let's say, the wipers work fine, quick push for fluid gets a short shot, a little longer gets more etc. Upon reading the owners manual, a push gets a quick shot but holding gets more obviously but is supposed to shut off after 10 seconds. I don't ever remember this doing that before, key turned to whatever position. Something going on in the ignition switch?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
It hasn't worked right since you owned it, and now it does?

So I'm getting from your second post it works now, but the pump goes for 10 seconds, or is it the wipers that go for 10 seconds?

Do they work "normal" with the ignition switched on?

I'm sure you've already checked, but take a peek at the connector at the fluid reservoir that activates the pump.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Yup, checked the connector, seems fine. Like I said, I always thaught that it squirts as long as you are pushing it, the moment you let off, it should shut off, no? It did that this morning, truck off, acc on. Usually though, while the truck is on and you push the button, hold till you think it's good and release, it still runs. Never timed it because I usually switch the wipers on to stop it and that seems to work. The wipers work good in all settings. They did not before I changed (a week or so ago) the MF switch. I would turn them on full and off and they'd stay on. You'd have to play with the switch to get them to turn off. The signal to turn the pump on has always been good, now to turn off is where the weirdness is.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks Roushstage2, kinda made me think that's maybe how it's supposed to work. Therefore, I tested with wipers off, continuous run, I'd say 10 seconds. Wipers on at varying speeds, squirts till I let off the button. Dangit, problem fixed it's self. I think before I musta squirted and switched the blades on right away not noticing it having the 10 sec. thing. Lesson learned.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM
My dad has an 01 F-150, and I'm thinking I'm going down to the parent's for a free meal tonight anyways, let me check to see how his works. If not, give me a couple days and I will get back to you.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Cool, free meals at the parents just never is wrong. I actually thaught by reading another post that maybe in tilting the wheel as much as I had to do my Sirius install, maybe the connectors became loose(ish). I know I broke a hold down tab before, never seemed to much matter as it held the connector together fine. Still, I took the cover off and played around with it and now it works better. The squirter only works while I have the button pushed, in any wiper position. This is how I thaught it was supposed to work. For now, I will leave it, but please, if you can or someone else see if you can explain how yours works, that would be great.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 AM
I made it down there, but my dad was busy fixing stuff and it was dark. I will try tomorrow or Saturday to go and look at it.

It sounds like it is working better. Whenever you push the wash button, they should "wipe" for about 3 seconds or so after you let off, or if they are already on, just spray while you're pushing the button. That is how I have always seen it work.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Exactly, I figured the button wasn't releasing properly or something, lets face it, it's cold and sometimes things stick or act up. The part of wiping about 3 seconds after button release or when the squirts stops works fine and always have. It's just weird and seems to work fine for now. Made in Mexico crap maybe????

Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
A bit of an update, I think it's cured- knock on wood. After replacing my replaced recently alternator for noise, I find the switch works fine now. Weird, seems a few diodes in the alternator were shot so maybe that had something to do with it.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer keeps pumping, wtf?