99 Expedition blinker issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Expedition blinker issue

OK so the other day I started getting the fast blink on the passenger side blinkers. No biggie, blown bulb I thought, so just to be sure, I swapped the drivers into the passengers side. Same issue, so I just replaced the multi-control switch and still am having the same issue. The front/rear parking lights work, the front and mirror blink fast, the rear nothing. There is also no brake light on the passenger side. I'm now going to assume maybe a short, but before I start trying to track a short, any other ideals? Bad relay/fuse, bad ignition switch, bad Expedition? It is for sale, maybe it's trying to tell me it doesn't want to leave?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If it were a short, you'd have either a blown fuse or smoke. Cross that off.

I'd suspect an open ground circuit for the passenger tail light assembly. Anywhere from the socket to the connection to the body near the fuel tank.

Steve

Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Steve, I am having a similar problem. No bulbs out, but fast passenger blinker. Used to be the occasional rapid blinking. Now its always blinking rapidly. Maybe the flasher module under the dash needs to be replaced? What do you think? Start there on both the Expedition and my F150?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Les,

The flasher doesn't care if you have your left or right signal on. The same signal feeds either circuit. If all the bubs do flash but rapidly, then I'd suspect the electronic flasher has failed.

Rapid flashing means that the expected electrical load is too small, usually caused by one or more bulbs that is not drawing current.

See which bulb isn't flashing and go from there. If you have a brake or marker light on the same corner that also doesn't work, focus on the ground. If both signal lamps on one side don't work, look at the MFS.

There's more, but that will get you started.

Do observe and report on what lights do and do not work.

Steve

Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Gotcha, I will check them out tonight. I did notice on the rare occasion that I had rapid flashing before, I shut the blinker off and then back on again- the rapid flashing stopped and returned to normal. Now, as I said- this morning its constant rapid flash on the passenger side. Maybe I do have some bad bulbs or even a dim one.

Where is the ground in the tail? I know there are three lamp assys that all have wiring protectively wrapped. Is there a single ground somewhere for all three?

Hey, thanks for the help Steve

Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I too am wondering where the ground might be located. From underneath I can see some wires coming from the right rear lights that feed the plate lights but that is all I can locate. Is the main wires on the right side inside the cabin area, along the floor?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM
hey guys,

i'm having similar problems with my 98 f150. I replaced all the bulbs thinking it was time to anyway. Now i have the fast blinking and the passanger front blinker does not work. I have no experience what-so-ever with electrical anything, so what should i do?

Thanks for any help!

John

Quick Reply: 99 Expedition blinker issue