Intermittent Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Cruise Control Problem

Truck is 2002 F150 Sport 4x4, 5.4L, 176K miles. Cruise control works perfectly some of the time, but sometimes not at all. It usually works in the morning and often won't in the afternoon. When it's acting up, pushing the set button causes the dash light to flash but CC won't engage. Sometimes pushing it 8 or 10 times rapidly will cause it to engage, but other times that doesn't help. Sometimes when I get frustrated and leave it alone for a few minutes and then try it again, it engages first try! Arrgh! What should I change out?

P.S. No outstanding recalls on my truck.

Last edited by Glen71; 09-28-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could help, but I have the same problem. Try a diagnostic. I copied it from another forum. It didnt help mine. When I tried to hit the resume button, the light wouldnt flash. Please let me know if you figure it out.

Rick

My Photos
Truck Mods
Truck: 1997 F-150
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:54 pm Post subject: Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective
Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

try this and see if the speed control module has any codes in it.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Cruise Control Problem