Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems

I have a 2000 F150 ext cab. and i really like it alot. Ive had it for about three months. But since i've had it the power windows have quit working, the cruise control and horn quit working just recently. And when i bought it the door locks don't work. I know the acuators are the door lock problem. But can anyone help me with the cruise and horn, windows.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise & horn MIGHT be the clock spring, but you need to do some diagnosis before you buy any parts. Click my tan CV below & look thru the Steering Column album.

Gotta diagnose the windows, too. Are the switches passing power & maintaining ground? Do the motors work? Are the drive bushings OK? Are the regulators OK? Do the glass runs need lube?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Power Windows = could be the Driver's side switch, some additional testing is needed.
A thread on the topic :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300567

This should help you get to a point of what is wrong ( motor, switch, power to the switch, or ground ).

Cruise & Horn : I would agree with Steve, clock spring, but these could be 2 different things.
Did you have the cruise control recall done ? Asking, as the CC could be a problem with the recall, or the servo, and the horn could be a bad relay or blown fuse.

Test procedure to see what is up with the CC function :
There is a self test in the cruise control system.
With the key off depress and hold the cruise control off button while turning the ignition to the run position,don't start the truck, the cruise light will flash once to let you know it is in self test.
Five additional flashes indicate a bad cruise control servo

Release the cruise off switch and within 5 seconds depress the other switches in sequence:
1. on
2. resume
3. coast
4. set/ accel
The speed control light will flash as each switch is depressed.

If the last one does not flash it may then flash a code

After this the cruise will move the throttle to test the actuator and the cable.
Make sure the throttle returns to idle and turn the key off.
If there is a problem with the clock spring, it should show up very quickly.

You can test the horns by jumpering the pins in the horn relay.
Picture of the relay, and the relay socket, and what to jumper :
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-186571.jpg

Jumpering the Normally Open contacts will make the horns work ( sans the horn button ) to make sure there is nothing broken with the circuit itself ( fuse, ground,etc. )

The door locks : You know are the actuators or you think it is the actuators ?
Reason I ask, is if the power window problem is a lack of ground to the door, the power lock could be part of the same problem. What testing did you do to confirm the actuators are the source of the problem ?

With this many symptoms , it is easy to group things into the same problem, but it just as easily could be different problems, jsut happening at the same problem.

Please take a read through, and do some 1st pass problem diagnoses, and post back the results for each problem.

Quick Reply: Electrical problems