Intermittent ignition -Worst kind of trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent ignition -Worst kind of trouble

Hi everyone,
I've gotta 95 F150 4.9l 2wd with 159,000 miles, duel tanks. A few weeks ago it started intermittently just turning over when I tried to start her. I would turn the key back, try it again and it went. Normally after sitting (overnight/during work) Last week the problem got worse. Once it would not start on me for about 30 minutes and then started right up, and then while driving, it just cut out, no chugging,lurching, spittering.... just out. A few minutes later it started right back up again. Yesterday, same thing -just this time it did not start. I had it towed home and went through my Hayes ch5 (steve83) and ran all the diagnostics. They all passed fine, but then again it is intermittent. On my last test, it just started out of the blue (Imagine my surprise with 50 tools and 10 feet of wire loose under the hood) The only codes it spit out was that I wasn't in park and my O2 sensor is bad. I've heard of intermittent coil problems but never intermittent Ignition module problems. I don't believe it's just not getting spark, but also the injectors aren't getting electric b/c after 10 minutes of turning it over, I didn't smell any fuel under the hood. Both fuel pumps kick on and I have the correct pressure on the rail. Any ideas? I'd rather have a rod sticking out the side, at least I'd know what my problem is! Also, It's not a rule, but this problem appears to occur more often when it's sitting out in the hot Texas sun. My Ignition module is mounted on the fender/ not in the distributor. Thanks

Quick Reply: Intermittent ignition -Worst kind of trouble