How to change millage on new guage cluster

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change millage on new guage cluster

Hey guys two part question:

I just purchased a used guage cluster off of a 06 XLT so I could have a tach. I installed it and all works except the temp and compass readouts. My Truck has 16,700 miles but the cluster now reads 27,203 miles. Called two Ford dealers and visted a third. All said that they cannot correct millage.

1. Can the mileage be corrected?

2. What is needed to make the compass and temp work?

For now I guess I have to wait 11,000 miles to install it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have not seen this with a new cluster yet, but the 99-03 clusters had to be ordered with the correct millage on them, or they send out the cluster to be reprogrammed at a Ford specified electronics partner.

This is the thread on the the reprogramming of the old cluster
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=102926

Now this is for the old cluster, so the procedure might have changed. Sounds like the dealers you visited are holding out on you, for not being able to sell you the cluster at their price.

Don't know if you can do this yourself ( with the authorized placed Jeff listed ) by sending it to them. I would guess not ( what is to stop you from shaving a few thousand miles off ). Maybe try the dealer again, and ask someone that knows ?? Service manager might, or he could be the source of the "kiss off" attitude.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Modern instrument clusters are intentionally designed to be VERY difficult to change the mileage on, for obvious reasons. There are people who will reset them, though. Do some web searching.

Quick Reply: How to change millage on new guage cluster