Speedometer not working 2003 F150 XLT

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer not working 2003 F150 XLT

So I'm trying to fix my Dad's truck for him since he's somewhat mechanically not inclined.

Here's the problem:

The speedometer is intermittent but now mostly doesn't work. It pretty much stays at 150km/h. Strangely though it does kind of work in reverse. IE when speeding up the speedometer will slow down from 160 to 140.

Both cruise control and the odometer work totally fine.

There are two sensors on this truck, one on the tranny and one on the rear diff. My dad tried removing one sensor and put in a replacement but that didn't help.

I think it may be the gauge electronics since everything else is working well. The techs at the dealership are clueless about this - they didn't even know there were two sensors.

Anybody have any ideas??

Old 08-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by fastskier
So I'm trying to fix my Dad's truck for him since he's somewhat mechanically not inclined.

Here's the problem:

The speedometer is intermittent but now mostly doesn't work. It pretty much stays at 150km/h. Strangely though it does kind of work in reverse. IE when speeding up the speedometer will slow down from 160 to 140.

Both cruise control and the odometer work totally fine.

There are two sensors on this truck, one on the tranny and one on the rear diff. My dad tried removing one sensor and put in a replacement but that didn't help.

I think it may be the gauge electronics since everything else is working well. The techs at the dealership are clueless about this - they didn't even know there were two sensors.

Anybody have any ideas??
I am in the same boat, except the odo doesn't work either. I have replaced both sensors but to no avail. As you said, the Ford techs are clueless on this matter. I've posted at least three threads on this in the past few months, but nobody has been able to figure it out.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Put the cluster in HEC Dealer Test Mode. It's pretty interesting what it can do.

Most likely, you both have cluster problems.

Steve

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
by cluster you mean instrument cluster correct?

I never realized you could put the cluster into test mode. Does this have to be done by a dealer or can you do it at home?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
anyone else have any ideas?

Bump.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:22 PM
by cluster you mean instrument cluster correct?

I never realized you could put the cluster into test mode. Does this have to be done by a dealer or can you do it at home?
You can do it at home and it's rather easy. I believe projectSHO89 helped me ot with it before. I'll try to pull up that thread.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Here ya go.
Originally Posted by JMC
Try pressing the odometer button and holding it while you turn the key to the run position. It will display tESt in the odometer after about 5 seconds. When it does release it. Then press it again repeatedly till you see dtc in the odometer. Continue pressing till all the DTC have been displayed. There might be a few DTCs stored. I would suspect U1041 or maybe U1123 or 1132.

JMC
Not quite sure where to go from there, but that's a start.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Anyone have a list of what each code means?

Thanks for the replies Jiggle.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Got one dtc code - 5284. Anyone know what that means?

Thanks,

Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Got one dtc code - 5284. Anyone know what that means?

Thanks,
dtc 5284 = Bad oil presure switch

But you should really go to an auto parts store and have them pull the codes with a diagnostic code reader, it's usually free.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:52 PM
DRJ
I read a thread a few min. ago about using the green display as a digital tach (I believe) speedometer and tester for door triggers (among other things) to get it to do it he said to hold the trip reset button while off, then turn the ign. on while holding it, then tap it again to cycle through various displays...
oh also....fastskier/jiggle have you guys had the stereo changed out, upgraded, worked on in any way? it's possible that the (I believe) gray/black wire (VSS) on your stereo plug is either tapped in to the wrong place, or pinched. chek et out!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by TRITON_2002
dtc 5284 = Bad oil presure switch

But you should really go to an auto parts store and have them pull the codes with a diagnostic code reader, it's usually free.
Auto parts stores don't have readers capable of pulling these codes. Save your trip.

Don't replace that oil pressure switch based on that code, it's probably bogus.

Steve

Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by DRJ
I read a thread a few min. ago about using the green display as a digital tach (I believe) speedometer and tester for door triggers (among other things) to get it to do it he said to hold the trip reset button while off, then turn the ign. on while holding it, then tap it again to cycle through various displays...
oh also....fastskier/jiggle have you guys had the stereo changed out, upgraded, worked on in any way? it's possible that the (I believe) gray/black wire (VSS) on your stereo plug is either tapped in to the wrong place, or pinched. chek et out!
I switched out my stock casette player with a Ford CD player, and my speedo went out a few months later. I doubt it's related. I recently bought an aftermarket MP3 player and nothing has changed.

Can you try to post a link to that thread you're talking about?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 AM
DRJ
Originally Posted by jiggle
I switched out my stock casette player with a Ford CD player, and my speedo went out a few months later. I doubt it's related. I recently bought an aftermarket MP3 player and nothing has changed.

Can you try to post a link to that thread you're talking about?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=193352&page=5
I believe it's the 4th post down, But like I'd said be4, the stereo plug has a VSS wire on there that might be getting some sort of contact...ie..the wire kept rubbing on metal and wore down the insulation causing it to be grounded, the wire might have been taped off and the tape fell off, the wire is pinched, the wire could have been pulled out.
but thats just a maybe, could also be that the speedometer is bad, the vss wire behind the cluster might have gotten damaged (especially if someone was under the dash) I'd take a look behind the stereo

I just tried out the display on my 05...the very 1st thing i got was a gauge sweep, it might reset your gauges

Last edited by DRJ; 09-05-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
the stereo in mine is bone stock Ford CD player (from the factory).
After doing some more reading it seems as though the 5284 code will always come up since you are checking without the engine on (hence no oil pressure). Sounds like I'll have to get it scanned at a shop unless anyother wizards have anymore ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer not working 2003 F150 XLT