1998 F250 LD Multifunction Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 F250 LD Multifunction Switch

I know this is an F150 sight but I think the F250 Light Duty is like the 98 F150 more so than the Super Duty

They have exactly the same body style........only year they made that I believe

Anyhow, I've read all the Multi Function switch posts (never could find the one with pictures)

I'm having the same problem (no headlights unless I pull back to "flash" the high beams, checked the fuses........then sometimes lo and behold they work "sort of"........especially if I "screw with" the MFS)

Anybody have and specific experience doing a MFS on this 98 LIGHT DUTY F250?

Once you get the steering column off how hard is it to disconnect wires and such for a novice? (at least as far as electrical goes)

What do I need to clean on it?

Take all the dielectric grease off all the contacts then buff with (what????) and regrease?????

Or should I just get a new MFS???

Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The 250LD is identical to the 150 in this department. No differences.

Here's the removal procedure from the factory manual:

Multifunction Switch

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).

µ 2. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder (11582).

1 Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to the RUN position.

2 Insert a punch through the hole in the lower steering column shroud and push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

µ 3. Twist the tilt wheel handle and shank (3F609) and remove.

µ 4. Note:
Move gear selector to lowest position to access steering column opening cover.

Release the four clips and remove the steering column opening cover.

µ 5. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.

1 Remove the three screws.

2 Remove the lower steering column shroud.

3 Remove the upper steering column shroud.

µ 6. Remove the multi function switch.

1 Remove the two screws.

2 Disconnect the electrical connectors.

3 Remove the multi function switch.

Installation

µ 1. Note:
When the battery (10655) is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

My note: If you remove the bottom cover first, it's a LOT easier to find the release pin for removing the lock cyclinder.

Another thing to look for, if you have a tilt column, is for the harness to be pulling at certain tilt positions and causing the connector to loose connection intermittently.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 08-22-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!!!

I passed that info on to my son and he swiftly and successfully removed and reinstalled his MFS but the lights still work the same i.e. they're not working

actually when he put it back on the lights came on but they stayed on bright when the switch was in either of the positions and the switch wouldn't move quite right

he pulled a little so the switch seemed to settle back into place so it would move correctly and then the lights went back to not working

I'm trying to advise him (long distance) as far as trying to clean up the MFS or just get a new one from the dealer

or would you trust one from NAPA???

Quick Reply: 1998 F250 LD Multifunction Switch