Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive

So I went to push my overdrive button, and guess what. NOTHING its like the button is dead, the o/d light did not turn on, and it for shure did not go into overdrive. Has anybody else had this issue before? My truck is a 2002 V6 4.2L with 85,000 miles on it. I am replacing the battery tonight because my gauges are sweeping at startup.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Probably, the little wiring harness has failed at the point where it exits the shift lever into the column.

Pull the column covers and inspect the wire harness.

Steve

Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I will check that out. You dont think it could have anything to do with the battery?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 PM
My 2001 has the same problem

My 2001 5.4L is doing the same thing, I tried changing the fuse and it would work for a few hours and then it would blow the fuse.Now it blows the fuse within a few minutes of changing the fuse... I'm going to inspect it this weekend and let you know what I find. Mine is on the same circuit as the power lock thingy that locks the doors once you start moving and also controls the automatic lights so all thats not working too..
Thanks for the info Steve...

Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
So I talked to ford and they said the same thin. They evidently have issues with the wiring righ there going into the collum. The lady told me that the wires become brittle if you have the steering wheel in the same place for too long, and if you constantly tilt the steering wheel up and down it wears out the wires after a while. She mentioned that they are pin connectors so they work themselves out over time. I hope it will be somthing easy like plugging th thin back in, and not having to replace wires or something like that.

Quick Reply: Overdrive