2004 FX4 Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 FX4 Power Window Problem

My passenger side window switch on the driver side door will allow the passenger side window to go up but not down. The switch on the passenger door works the window fine. How do you access those switches to change them out? Does anyone have a part number for that switch? I think it may be the switch, loose connection, or exposed wire. Not sure how to get to the switch to trouble shoot. Any suggestions, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 04 XLT. I read someone had a similar problem in a different post and he changed the driver side switch and it started working again.

Not sure about part numbers, I guess I'll try my local part store.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Same here

I have had two switches go bad in the last three weeks. The windows will go down but not up. i think they must have had a problem cause the dealer here keeps them in stock, but as usual we don't have a problem with them. Go figure.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My '06 just had the driver's side switch take a powder, same symptom would go down fine, up I had to mash on it to get it to work. I think I got too much water in it over the winter ( snow falling on the switch, and melting.
I did not want to use it too much, as not to work the motor too hard ( bad switch can act like a high resistance load inline with the motor ). New power window master switch ( Driver's side ) from oemfordparts.com was 38.00 + S/H. P/N : 5L1Z-14529-AA. Don't have the other P/N handy, Send Jerry @ oem an email, if you can't find it in the mechanical catalog.

A friend of the family said his '05 was a but different then my '06, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have the speaker grille ( silver plastic grille ) that wraps around the switch panel. This is removed by starting on the side towards the hinge, and prying slightly back, working around it.
Once this is removed, the switch panel can then be removed.

The switch panel is slightly pry up on the outside part of the panel ( towards the seat ) and there are tabs on the door side that slide out, once the outside part of the panel is high enough to clear the spring tabs. This is about 1/8" to 1/4" up.

Don't know if that makes sense or not, if not let me know, and I can try again.

Quick Reply: 2004 FX4 Power Window Problem