wipers not working help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wipers not working help please

on my 1997 f150 my wipers wont work. i had a problem with them from time to time let me tell you the problems i have with them. when the stoped working before if i put the truck into park or neutrul the would come back on. some times i banged on the sterring wheel an they would start to work. i have had the muliti stwich. the turn signal/wiper/high beam switch checked and it checks out good, checked all the wires and i have power to every thing. can anyone help me out. i would be greatful
thanks

Old 11-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This sounds like a problem with the MFS, there are a few threads on wiper gremlins.

When you say:
i have had the muliti stwich. the turn signal/wiper/high beam switch checked and it checks out good, checked all the wires and i have power to every thing
What do you really mean ?

Power to everything or power to the wiper motor when the MFS is seleted on any speed ? What is the list of everything and where the power was actually checked at:
i.e. when the wipers are turned on any speed, the power output to the wiper motor is correct ? If this is how the test was done, if you hit the steering wheel, it should have no cause to make the motor start to work again.

The test for the MFS does not include the wipers, so if whom ever told you they tested it good, followed the test procedue in the service manual, they did not actually test the wipers.

Take a read through the posts on wiper gremlins, and the anatomy of the MFS, to see if you have checked this already. There is one note were one member had a dealer relace the MFS, another sensor, and repair a wire harness to make the wipers work again, but this sound unrelated, but I have not pulled the EVTM diagrams for that MY to make sure.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=gremlins

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ferrerid=58085.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:57 AM
the switches that were tested are the turn signal/high beam wiper switch or assembly on the steering colum

Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by emilsanto
the switches that were tested are the turn signal/high beam wiper switch or assembly on the steering colum
How and from where to where ( and why would you test the turn signals and the FTP / high beams when you are looking at a wiper probelm )?

The other thing you can check if you don't want follow the procedure in the thread above is what did the pins look like in the steering column connector ? Some have had problems with turn signals due to discolored and/or bent pins in teh connector.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
the windsheild wipers are also on the same unit it all one unit also i dont know why but my wipers will work if i turn one the dome light ?

Quick Reply: wipers not working help please