Battery light sometimes coming on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery light sometimes coming on

Alright, here is my new problem and I didn't see anything on here similar so- truck seems to drive fine and no lights under normal driving. When I give it gas and go deep in the rpm's, at the higher rpm's, the battery light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out. I just changed the belt and the problem is still there. My voltage gauge reads fine so I was thinking about hooking a multimeter up and having someone watch it as I open up the throttle. I'm going to double check my ground straps tom. since I do have a body lift and noticed one was broke but it's apparantly been like that for some time. Is the voltage regulator possibly going bad causing excessive voltage at higher rpm's? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
With the age of the truck being a 97, it's faily certain the alternator brushes are worn down and begining to float under low spring tension at the faster speeds.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, i'm thinkin alternator too, this truck has so much original equip. w/ mucho miles that i'll probably just replace it- next question, who's got the best bang for buck and i've done the duralast lifetime warranty swap it every other month deal on other trucks. I'm thinkin powermaster but it's about 220

Quick Reply: Battery light sometimes coming on