Replacing Std Mirror w/ Auto-Dimming??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Std Mirror w/ Auto-Dimming??

Has anyone done this? Is the wiring for the Auto-Dimming mirror under the headliner on all trucks, such that I just have to 'find' it? If not, anyone know where the 3 wires for the Auto-Dimming go (black/purple strip, white/blue stripe, solid black)?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I only have access to my paper copy of the 2006 EVTM at the moment.

in 2006, it shows the Auto Dimming Mirror Unit has:
White w/ Light Blue stripe = Power
Dark Green w. Yellow Stripe = Reverse ( turns the dim off )
Black = Ground

Is this a new body style 2004 or a 2004 L or Heritage ?

The factory harness for 2006 shows the connector C219 is in the pass side kick panel by the fuel inertia switch / fuse panel.

The White w/ Light Blue stripe is the same circuit as the Instrument cluster, and the ground has a splice if there are vanity mirrors in the visors.

This would make the harness rather long, enough to go from the mirror over head, across the headliner, and down the A-pillar.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the reply - That should help a lot. It's a 2004 FX4 Crewcab - I need to get pics and details in the profile yet...maybe tomorrow. I suppose the wiring would be same as 2006 - I'll look tomorrow for the harness.

Much Thanks!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TJIM01
Thanks for the reply - That should help a lot. It's a 2004 FX4 Crewcab - I need to get pics and details in the profile yet...maybe tomorrow. I suppose the wiring would be same as 2006 - I'll look tomorrow for the harness.

Much Thanks!
I just looked, your profile says SCrew, so I guess it would not be a L or the Heritage version.

The wiring should be with the mirror. Is the mirror you have from a 04+ ( new body style ). I don't know if the L or Heritage comes with one, and that is what you have ? The color codes are all wrong. I'll try to find a 2001 EVTM on SAT, to check those color codes.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I just looked, your profile says SCrew, so I guess it would not be a L or the Heritage version.

The wiring should be with the mirror. Is the mirror you have from a 04+ ( new body style ). I don't know if the L or Heritage comes with one, and that is what you have ? The color codes are all wrong. I'll try to find a 2001 EVTM on SAT, to check those color codes.
This mirror is from a 2004 Lariat. The plugs are in the mirror, with a couple inches of wires.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Well, I still can't find a harness coiled up anywhere...wondering why I couldn't just tie the Auto-Dimming electric into the compass power? Only thing I'd be missing is the "Off-when backing up" - but who cares?

Will that work?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Your mirror has an STD?

Thats so weird!

Quick Reply: Replacing Std Mirror w/ Auto-Dimming??