Stupid question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Stupid question.....

I know "gets a stupid answer"

Anyways, I noticed today when I locked my doors with the key fob and the horn sounded, it sounded very 'wimpy". Do our trucks have two seperate horns, a high tone and a low tone??? If so I think that my low tone is shot. Also where exactly are they located? I know that they are in the front passenger side corner, but are they accessable from underneath or is this a remove the grill job to get to them.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
one mine with the dealer alarm i have two power levels. If i manually lock it as i get out, close the door, then hit lock once, it arms the alarm with the little honk. then if i hit lock again it hits real horn. Or close door hit lock twice on remote, loud horn followed by soft honk.

But i dunno about yours.
-Patrick

Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM
I was dead tired last night when I posted my original question so let me clarify ....

The 'wimpy' sounding horn is all of the time, when the horn button is pressed or when the key fob is double tapped. That is why I believe that the 'low' tone one is shot.

Sooo, where are the horns located and what is the best way to get to them?? I do not recall seeing them when I had the grill/header removed.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Sooo, where are the horns located and what is the best way to get to them??
Stick your head under the hood and have someone lean on the horn button. You'll find them REAL FAST!

Seriously, don't do that as you could injure your hearing....

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-20-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Global Moderator &

i think they are on the back fender wall, but cant remember. If you cant find em ill look it up

Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I am not mistaken, they are in the same place as the 99-03s, behind the bumper on the pass side of the truck. Lay on your back under the pass side, like your head is pointing at the pass side front wheel, and look straight up. I only say I am not 100% sure, as I am about 1000 miles from my truck at the moment ( it is at ORD, I am at EWR ).

There are 2 horns there, a high note, and a low note, so you could be correct, the high note might be disconnected, or bad.

DON'T listen to steve, he is just hard of hearing, and trying to get everyone to the same place he is at

I want to say they are 93dB or 103dB sound level ??

Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I want to thank everyone for there posts. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to look into the problem and see if I can get it figured out.

If I wanted to be like Steve and really hard of hearing, all I would have to do is go tot he fire hall and have one of the guys lay on the air horns on the pumper. These SOB's are as loud or louder than the air horns on the trains that run on the tracks next to the hall

Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Ford Electronic Owners Manual
The horn system includes the following components:

steering wheel pad horn switch (part of driver side air bag module)
horn relay (located in the battery junction box [BJB])
horns (located underneath the passenger side headlights behind the front bumper)
clockspring
central security module
NOTE: The steering wheel pad horn switch is part of the driver side air bag module
Let me know if you need diagrams too.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Stupid question.....