2004 expedition airbag code 3-3 or 33

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 expedition airbag code 3-3 or 33

Alright, I have a 2004 Expy that was stolen and recovered. Never involved in an accident, just theft. They took almost the entire interior of the truck. Part of what I replaced was the front airbags. Now I have an air bag light that blinks 3 times short pause and 3 times long pause 3 times short pause 3 times and so on. I have searched this and was led to believe that it was high resistence to the passenger side airbag. I thought this makes sense because the plug for the airbag was cut out when they stole the airbag so when I re-installed the bag I butt connected a new plug in place. So I went in a cut all that crap out and soldered the new plug in. Well I still have the blinking light. What else could it be? Is it possible that the computer stores the code and does not realize that it is fixed yet? Bad pass side airbag? What else? Thanks for all your help prior to this problem hope I haven't used up all my free help cards!

Thanks,
Chad

Old 09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The 33 is not a fault code for one of the airbags, it is for one of the front seatbelt pretensioners.

Check both of them.

Steve

Old 09-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Pre-what????? Don't know anything about pre-tensioners. Do you mean the seat belt clicker or the thing the seat belt rolls up into on the other end? I suppose it could have had some cut wires I didn't notice but the seat belts were intact when I got it. Guess they didn't think they were worth anything so they didn't steal them. What should I be looking for?????

Thanks,
Chad

Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
In the event of a crash that meets or exceeds pre-programmed limits, the RCM will activate the pre-tensioners to remove slack from the seat/shoulder harness.

The newest SRS systems are increasingly complex and technical. If you don't have access to the factory service documentation and diagnostic tools, you may need to see a dealer and have a trained technician diagnose and repair the system.

WARNING! The pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Handle in accordance with the safety procedures in the service manual.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-17-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On a side note, soldering airbag connections is a bad idea. The solder can change the resistance of the wire, and everything in the SRS system is all based on resistance. For a while, Ford advocated soldering airbag connections, but this repair can get dicey if the solder is too thick or too thin, so butt splicing with connectors that have heat shrink built into them is the new approved repair.

And I also agree with Steve, if you don't have an intimate knowledge of the system and some special diagnostic gear, airbags ain't something to play around with.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks Steve,
I could try and take it to the dealer. It is an 04 with 4K miles. I think it is still under warranty but if they find out about the whole stolen and recovered thing they will charge me out the wazoo to fix it.

The entire seat belt system, side kick panels over the seatbelts, and the center seat belt receivers were un touched by the theives. And this truck was never involved in an accident so I am not sure why it would be throwing a code. Do these things just go bad from time to time? Can I just get one from a parts place, used or otherwise, and do the whole disconected battery thing and bolt in the new one?

Is it possible that the code refers to any other area of the SRS system?

Could it be a stored code and not be an issue any longer and just need to be reset?

Thanks,
Chad

Quick Reply: 2004 expedition airbag code 3-3 or 33