How much is too much for hte stock charging system??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much is too much for the stock charging system??

OK, over the last week I've added two additional sets of lights, one pair 85w and the other 100w. Think I'm going to install one additional set of 85w lights (ok, so I'm scared of the dark ). I also have a 600w amp pushing a 10" subwoofer in the truck. I was curious how much I can put on before I need to upgrade the battery, alternator, etc. I turned all the lights on and cranked the stereo while running the AC tonight on the way home from work and didnt notice any problem, but I was also more concerned with enjoying how much of the road I could light up at once Anyone have an idea of what the limits on these trucks are??

TIA, ZelenVR

Last edited by ZelenVR; 08-24-2006 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZelenVR
OK, over the last week I've added two additional sets of lights, one pair 85w and the other 100w. Think I'm going to install one additional set of 85w lights (ok, so I'm scared of the dark ). I also have a 600w amp pushing a 10" subwoofer in the truck. I was curious how much I can put on before I need to upgrade the battery, alternator, etc. I turned all the lights on and cranked the stereo while running the AC tonight on the way home from work and didnt notice any problem, but I was also more concerned with enjoying how much of the road I could light up at once Anyone have an idea of what the limits on these trucks are??

TIA, ZelenVR
What I would suggest, if you have the documentation for all of the accessories, see if you can find the amp draw for the items. For example,
if your aux lights draw 25 amps total, and your stereo amp draws 25 amps, total draw (just from those access.) would be 50 amps. Also consider all of the other factory electronics that draw current. If your stock alternator is 120 amps, that leaves about 70 amps or so for everything else.
If you don't have the documentation, I know there is a formula to use to
figure out the amp draw. Unfortunately, I don't know it. Anyone??

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How much is too much for hte stock charging system??