Speedo and odometer change - CDN to US

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedo and odometer change - CDN to US

I moved from Canada to the US and had thought that I would leave my trucks speedo and odometer as is and read the small numbers on the speedo for mph and remember to convert the odometer reading from km to miles. But I've been thinking about possibly selling my truck (and replace it with a F-250 or F-350) later while I'm here in the US and I'm not sure if someone would buy it with the speedo and odometer setup from Canada.
So, where can I find info on who can do a proper change over? Or can it be done by myself? I'm sure a Ford dealer could do it, but I'm looking for other sources.

Kevin

Old 08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I would leave it alone if I were you. First off, it's going to be quite expensive, and second, it will probably open the door for more questions, and possibly be a deterent when trying to sell. People may think it was tampered with, or not necessarily trust the new indicated mileage.

If it were me, I'd be wondering about the credibility. I just bought one from the US not long ago myself. LUckily, the odometer is digital in the 04-06 models, and can be changed to KM's with a couple pushes of the button automatically.

Let the new potential owner make this change if they feel the need to.

CHIA

Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Oh, yeah... I just see finding a razorback that can even comprehend metric readings......

Old 08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by CHIA
I would leave it alone if I were you. First off, it's going to be quite expensive, and second, it will probably open the door for more questions, and possibly be a deterent when trying to sell. People may think it was tampered with, or not necessarily trust the new indicated mileage.

If it were me, I'd be wondering about the credibility. I just bought one from the US not long ago myself. LUckily, the odometer is digital in the 04-06 models, and can be changed to KM's with a couple pushes of the button automatically.

Let the new potential owner make this change if they feel the need to.

CHIA
Good advice. I have a friend here that thought the speedo/odometer shouldn't turn off a potential buyer here in the U.S.

I like my truck, it's just that since I moved here to the country, I've taken an interest in firewood (for myself and to sell) and want a truck to pull a decently loaded 16' or 18' tandem axle utility trailer without the back end of the truck sagging to much. I know I'm not going over Ford's specs for how much my truck can pull, it just sags to much in the rear for my liking. I replaced my rear shocks with some Monroe Load Adjusting shocks, which do help. I was thinking of adding a set of Hellwig EZ-990 helper springs also. Maybe I should of went with air bags. I wouldn't need the full capability of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, but it might be better than what I'm doing to my 1/2 ton. And I know what I have in this truck, and would be starting over with another used truck.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Speedo and odometer change - CDN to US