Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck won't start

Drove my truck today around town and parked it about 1:00 p.m. , got in it at 8:00 p.m. to go and eat but it would not start. wouldn't even turn over, click or anything. Battery guage reads 14 volts. tried to jump start it but still the same things, swapped out batteries and still the same results.
I'm having a hard time with the schematics in the haynes repair manual. Can anyone help me with my problem, I have only this vehicle and on top of that I am deploying to afganistan next week and my wife needs a vehicle to drive.
Can anyone suggest what to look for or to trouble shoot first.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I will attempt to help you here assuming your using the drawing on pge 12-17 of the Haynes book.
Look at the bottom of the page at the battery symbol.
It goes to the starter then to contacts of the start relay back to the + side of the battery.
1st try to power the start relay and see if the starter cranks the engine.
To do this wire connect the plus side of the battery to the small tan/red lead where is connects at the start relay. If this cranks the engine, the problem is toward the ignition switch or trans neutral circuit.
Form there it could be as simple as a connector.
Look at the tan/red lead again from the starter relay,. It goes either to an auto trans or a manuel tran circuit configuration A/T or M/T to the starter interrupt relay then thru fuses to the ignition switch.
Be patient and check out these areas,
I'm sure you will get a lead on the problem and be able to solve it.
I will be watching for your replies and thank you for you service to out country, in advance.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Bluegrass,
Thanks for all the information, I followed the reouble shooting steps in the manual and everything checked ok untill i checked the starter motor for voltage. It had none and the manual says to replace the starter. I removed the starter and took it to the local auto parts store and had it bench checked, it was froze up solid. Paid more than i expected for a new one but got it on in no time and the truck started fine.
Once again thanks for the help.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Good enough.
Be safe.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Good enough.
Be safe.
Yes be safe and thank you for your service...

Quick Reply: Truck won't start