Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 'door ajar' or 'dome light' staying on? Forum members suggest various methods that they fixed their issue. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred method.
          Print Wikipost

If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:25 PM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Just found this after dealing with this problem for the last year. NM roads are dust/dirt/gravel & mud...
          The silicone would last a week,maybe & then be gone.
          Last night it drained the battery when I was 18 mi from home,and my truck was surrounded by other vehicles when I came out from dinner. No juice lights etc,take the key out & the relay would just click away like I was constantly locking with the fob.
          Came into town & jumped it &took it across to the garage.Had it on charge for 2 hrs ...in mean time I got brake cleaner spray & the spray moly grease lube...w/terminal cleaner as they were filthy. Battery was shot. New battery and a tutorial on where to spray & how long from Jerry. Started right up ,no door lights & the dome out after you close the doors....like when it was newer,& doors close easy & no noise or door ajar light on.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Unhappy door ajar

The door dome light stays on for about 2 minutes then goes off, But I have a door ajar light that comes on and then . funny thing is when the front passenger door closes,, the light comes on.. then goes off while I'm driving..WTF!!!!!

Old 05-12-2019, 12:42 PM
          2014 F150 passenger door ajar alarm

After reading through many of the posts on this page on how to solve the door ajar issue I was experiencing I ended up having to replace the door module. I tried the WD40 trick, but this only helped some times and was not a cure all.

I ended up purchasing the entire door module from https://www.partsgeek.com . I reviewed several online videos on how to remove the door molding, which was rather easy after the first time.

Tools required:

8mm socket
          6mm socket
          T27 bit
          flat blade screw drive with a long shank
          molding removal tools I found to be helpful
          needlenose pliers

the hardest part I found on this job was to remove the small clamp that connects the door module to the locking mechanism. For the 2014 Ford F-150 front passenger side module this is a pink clamp. Once I had the new part, I saw that all I had to do was use a flat blade screw driver with a long shank to be able to reach inside of the door. I placed the tip of the driver into the clamp and gave it a gentle twist and the clamp released.

Once this was done then the rest was pretty easy to pull out of the door and put the he needed we part in.

issue has been resolved.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM
          Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
          Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SzajacUSMC
          After reading through many of the posts on this page on how to solve the door ajar issue I was experiencing I ended up having to replace the door module. I tried the WD40 trick, but this only helped some times and was not a cure all.

I ended up purchasing the entire door module from https://www.partsgeek.com . I reviewed several online videos on how to remove the door molding, which was rather easy after the first time.

Tools required:

8mm socket
          6mm socket
          T27 bit
          flat blade screw drive with a long shank
          molding removal tools I found to be helpful
          needlenose pliers

the hardest part I found on this job was to remove the small clamp that connects the door module to the locking mechanism. For the 2014 Ford F-150 front passenger side module this is a pink clamp. Once I had the new part, I saw that all I had to do was use a flat blade screw driver with a long shank to be able to reach inside of the door. I placed the tip of the driver into the clamp and gave it a gentle twist and the clamp released.

Once this was done then the rest was pretty easy to pull out of the door and put the he needed we part in.

issue has been resolved.
          It's good to see someone else that is smart enough to just fix the problem. WD-40 is just a band aid. I know, I went thru a few cans until I finally broke down and replaced the switch. I spent more on WD-40 than the part itself. Real smart, huh?
          I'm glad to see that you fixed it.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 PM
          Door. Ajar

I’ve got a 2008 extra cab STX. I’ve by bypassed the switches and checked wire harness when you open the door and everything is ok. I’ve unplugged the computer and battery still no luck ! Door ajar is always on and dome light. Simply turn off the dome light but the open door on the dash is always on which hides your odometer.
          Any help would be great. Bill

Last edited by BajaBill; 04-18-2021 at 08:51 PM.
          Old 10-30-2021, 04:06 PM
          Door Ajar - with a twist?

I've read all the forum items on this topic. I think the problem is in my wiring. BUT...my wiring harness is not a plug in type at the pillar like I've seen on the Youtube vids. Suggestions? 2014 Super Crew

Old 02-18-2022, 02:07 PM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Response

Originally Posted by lees99f150
          Since people are always asking how to fix their dome light or door ajar light from staying on. I thought i would make a post showing how to fix it.

If the light is on and the doors are shut then spray some WD40 in to the latch. The door switch is probably stuck.
          Spray in both doors then open and close them a few times. sometimes you will need to spray a lot of WD40 and it will run out the bottom of the doors. Just leave them open until it drains out.
          If this does not fix the issue you must check the wires going into the door from the interior fuse/ distribution box the wires that are in that rubber waterproofing tube the power wire can have rubbed through the insulation and is shorting to a ground wire that has rubbed through for the door ajar portion of the door latch assembly or door ajar button it's a common problem on exploders haha sorry explorers

Old 02-18-2022, 04:55 PM
          Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
          Exclamation

Originally Posted by tonytiger45
          if this does not fix the issue you must check the wires going into the door from the interior fuse/ distribution box the wires that are in that rubber waterproofing tube the power wire can have rubbed through the insulation and is shorting to a ground wire that has rubbed through for the door ajar portion of the door latch assembly or door ajar button it's a common problem on exploders haha sorry explorers
          replace the switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.