Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 'door ajar' or 'dome light' staying on? Forum members suggest various methods that they fixed their issue. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred method.
          Print Wikipost

If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:47 PM
          Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
          Thumbs up

The WD-40 trick is a great band-aid for this problem. But, like everything else, it stops working eventually. I too have did this trick and it worked, for a short period of time. So, when the WD-40 trick stopped working, I had to replace the switch. I got the switch from my local Ford dealership for $15 and change, plus tax, if I remember correctly. It's not a hard job and it only took me 45 minutes (I was taking my time).

Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          My 2009 extended cab dome light stays on. It has 3 positions on, on when door opens, and off. When I have it 'on when doors open' it either always stay on or never comes on. I keep it in the off position unless I need it. How do I fix it to make the 'on when doors open' function work properly.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
          For those that have 5+5 tones: it's telling you that your airbag bulb is burned out! Replace and it will not ding anymore!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:06 PM
          Thanks for this post. I have a 2001 F150 Lariat, and the door ajar warning light would stay on. Based on the first page of this post, I sprayed WD-40 with a straw up into and around the latch on the driver's side back door. First time I closed the door, lights went off.

Amazing! Very happy with the results and the whole 30 seconds (and no money) it took to fix the problem.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 PM
          Door ajar light staying on

I sprayed the WD40 like you said with it running out the bottom I closed and opened doors a few times left the doors open overnight but the rear left door ajar is still staying on. What is the next step?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM
          Originally Posted by Shelleyg
          I sprayed the WD40 like you said with it running out the bottom I closed and opened doors a few times left the doors open overnight but the rear left door ajar is still staying on. What is the next step?
          Replace the switch.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 PM
          Smile Lee: You are the Man

Originally Posted by lees99f150
          Since people are always asking how to fix their dome light or door ajar light from staying on. I thought i would make a post showing how to fix it.

If the light is on and the doors are shut then spray some WD40 in to the latch. The door switch is probably stuck.
          Spray in both doors then open and close them a few times. sometimes you will need to spray a lot of WD40 and it will run out the bottom of the doors. Just leave them open until it drains out.

Lee, thank you so much for the tip. Saved me a lot of trouble and now I look cool in front of some friends. I owe you a case brother

Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 AM
          Lightbulb Similar issue, different fix

Tonight I noticed my automatic lights weren't turning on in my 2006 Screw Lariat. Next, I saw the DOOR AJAR warning was on.

I pulled over and slammed all the doors to no avail. During this step, the power door locks wouldn't work, so I had to use the clicker. Restarted the engine with no fix.

So my issues were:

1. Door ajar warning.
          2. Power locks not working

I tried the WD-40 trick on all doors without a resolution, and couldn't find any fixes online.

I dumbed it down and pulled the 107 fuse to check for a blow. Fuse looked fine.

Plugged fuse back in and viola! Problem solved.

It happened randomly during the day. I recalled earlier that my alarm double honked when I locked the door after returning from errands, and continued to do so while the issue was present.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:28 PM
          Fixed my 99' Taurus!

Originally Posted by zapster
          thats exactly what brought me here to f-150.com back in janurary in the first place

...zap!
          Fixed my Taurus! Wife is happy! Many thanks!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 PM
          Door Ajar Switch

Y'all I am so sorry but would someone elaborate as to where and what the switch is that needs to be replaced to get this Right Door Ajar message to go away.
          Thanks so much!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 AM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Just wanted to add another possible solution for dome lights that come on and go off at random.

Symptoms: No door ajar light illuminated on my truck, however, the dome lights would come on and go off at random. It got bad enough that I just kept the dimmer switch locked into the off position most of the time.

Solution: I happened to be driving one day with the dimmer switch in the regular position, so of course the dome light came on at random. I filled up with fuel, and reset my trip mileage. I noticed when I applied pressure to the reset "button", the light went out. So I messed with it some more, and found I could make the dome lights come on and go off at will by manipulating the odometer trip reset "button".

I pulled the instrument cluster out of the truck, and took off the protective plastic cover to reveal the back of the circuit board. I found (2) solder joints that appeared pretty suspect, that were located close to the odometer reset "button". With the help of my more electrical experienced neighbor, we re-soldered the two joints and put the cluster back in the truck. It was only been a few days, but I have not had any dome light incidents.

Hopefully this info can help others.

Last edited by RUSTY06CREWFX4; 09-19-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: grammar
          Old 10-13-2016, 02:11 AM
          interior lights flashing

2001 Lariat supercrew. When I open the ds door, interior lights start blinking at about 3 times per second. I can hear the relay clicking with each flash. Shut the door, everything turns off as normal. All other doors open work normal. Everything else works just fine, truck runs good, etc.

Open the door to get out...flashing again. Now, I got out locked the door with the fob, then used the security code to unlock the door, opened the door...no lights flashing. Got in, shut the door...reopened the door...lights flashing again.

Any thoughts?
          Questions: where is the relay that is clicking ...maybe replacing the relay will fix the problem
          where is the door ajar switch located.

It also occurs to me that it might be the wiring going to the door through the little accordion connection. Once when I moved that, it worked again...then started flashing again. Now, no matter how much I jiggle it...just keeps flashing.

Any Help will be appreciated.

Dave S

Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 PM
          sounds like it may be related to rear door wiring harness. check to see wires aren't broken...you can youtube f150 rear door wiring harness... its a real issue it appears....

Old 06-25-2017, 04:12 PM
          Fixed Door Ajar light with Silicone Spray Lubricant

My door ajar light was on in my '99 Taurus and the dome light was on. I read this forum and noted the problems with WD40 collecting dust, so I just sprayed silicone lubricant into the driver's side door latch, opened and closed the door a few times, and the problem went away Thanks, everyone.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM
          Exclamation

All of you people know that the WD-40 is just a band-aid covering up the big problem; A DEFECTIVE SWITCH. If you replace it now, you won't have to worry about it EVER doing this to you one day and running your battery down. My advice is to buy a set of jumper cables with the WD-40.

Quick Reply: If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.