1999 F150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 F150 won't start

Upon trying to start my truck today after lunch, it would not start. Key turns, everything powers up (dash, radio, windows, etc. plenty of juice) but when key is turned to "start," zero happens. This never happened before. Tried it a few times and it started. Then went two miles down road to Home Depot and after leaving did same thing. Turn key to "start," all kinds of power for accessories, etc., alarm light does NOT blink, does not start in neutral. Engine and/or starter make no noise at all. Jiggled auto tranny lever and wheel some as well. Never started. What do you guys think? Thank you in advance.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:22 AM
If it is like my 97 you should check the battery positive wire at the starter. The terminal at the starter had a problem with rust/corrosion maybe it was about to break & finally did. If that is the problem I suggest getting a cable end & repairing the cable, the cable is real expensive to buy.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Got the truck back today. Naturally, when the mech. went to fix it, it started working again and then would not NOT start again all day. They said some ford's have a problem with water leaking down onto/into some computer modular thingy that is located above the driver's left foot. I never saw any leak. Any help will be greatly appreciated b/c I am sure my truck will stop working next time when I am as far from home as possible.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:46 AM
More info.: Apparently it only does it, doesn't start that is, when after the truck had been running for awhile.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Probably the relay

I had the same problem on my 99' Expedition. They checked eveything from the negative wire to the starter. They almost replaced my starter before one of the mechanics checked the relay bolted on trhe firewall on the passenger side. It ened up being intemittent when it was hot. Replaced it for 25 bux and I haven't had any problems since. That was a year ago. Hope this helps.......One question though, and it kind of intertwines w/ this topic. Does anyone know how to tell if your strater is giving out . It used to strt up strong, now when I crank it takes and etc second or two to turn over.

Thanks,

P-

Old 08-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Probably the relay

Originally posted by njrower
..... Does anyone know how to tell if your strater is giving out . It used to strt up strong, now when I crank it takes and etc second or two to turn over...
I had a truck with an eleven year old battery. Over the years, I got used to the cranking longer and longer before it would finally lumber to life.

I bought a new battery and it was like I dropped a new motor in the truck. It fired up like I was still making payments on it.

Quick Reply: 1999 F150 won't start