1999 XLT Pwr mirrors both responding wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 XLT Pwr mirrors both responding wrong?

Hi All,
Both my side mirrors of my truck started responding incorrectly about the same time. For example, if I command it to go right, the mirror actually goes down. They are at least responding, just moving in the wrong directions. I can't think of anything I did that would cause this. Will I have to completely change the mirrors or is there an easier and more obvious fix?
Thanks.
CR

Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
What was done to the truck just prior to the issue?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:37 AM
you can mannually move the mirrors around to recenter the adjusters. this helps when your mirrors kind of move diaginal but kind of up or down when you push left or right. i think this is what you are referring too. its either that or a gremelin moved the wires at the switch around.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Unhappy

I am having the same problem with my '00 Lariat mirrors. Both mirrors are not moving correctly. The driver's side mirror is the worst. It moves diagonally when I try to move it side to side.

Mr_Bentwrench, I have tried repositioning the mirror manually but am still having the problem. Could anyone elaborate on any other fixes for this?

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since they both respond incorrectly, I would investigate the switch further. It would be different if one or the other seemingly went 'wacko' but, with both of them doing 'odd' things, it seems to me like they may be getting bad signals from the switch?

RP

Old 08-14-2004, 04:56 PM
I've tried to move mine manually and it doesn't seem to help. but as described above they do move diagonally when they should go left and right. I'll have to mess with it more. As to what happened just prior, the only thing I could think of is I drove my truck though a carwash. I though maybe the cleaning flaps whacked the mirror out of place.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:01 PM
test?

What would be the easiest way to test the switch? Can the wires be manually connected?

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2004, 04:29 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When you adjust the mirror up or down or side to side by hand does it click? If it doesn't you may have pulled out one of the friction pins inside the mirror. The mirror pivots on a ball and it has two friction pins, keeps mirror from moving by itself, and two jack screws. The jack screws act just like a jack and move the mirror by turning in and out. One handles the up and down adjustment and the other the side to side.

JMC

Old 08-24-2004, 08:39 AM
When moving the mirrors by hand, they do click. I assume by that clicking that they are still attached to the pivot arm.

Does anyone know what a new/used mirror controller cost?

Old 08-24-2004, 09:38 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try this; push the mirror all the way up by hand till it clicks and then use the switch to try to push it up further. It should click. Then push the mirror all the way to the left till it clicks then use the switch to move it to the left some more. It should click. If the mirror clicked all four times try adjusting it with the switch to see if it moves correctly.

Removing the switch is simple.
Pull up on the cover near the end where the mirror switch is, it has the window, lock and mirror switches attched. It snaps into place. The other end has a tab on it so you need to be careful when pulling up. Once it is removed unplug the mirror switch and remove it.

JMC

Old 09-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Smile Problem Fixed

Your suggestion worked great! My mirrors are working correctly and I didn't have to spend a dime! Thanks to everyone willing to post replies.

-Doug

Quick Reply: 1999 XLT Pwr mirrors both responding wrong?