key-in-igniriton chime on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key-in-igniriton chime on all the time

Had my steering column replaced by a mechanic. Ever since I got the work done on my rig, the chime the sounds when the keys are left in the ignition, or the lights are left on has been going off all the time when the door is open.

The shop that did the work is going to fix it, but it's a pain that I have to take it back in, and in fact I haven't been able to get it in since I got it back from the shop. Who's fault is it? He's saying that something likely was defective when they hooked it up. Maybe the didn't hook it up correctly? Anyone have any input on this? Either way he's going to fix it for free, just a pain.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:36 AM
I'd be interested in any input on this as well. I just finished pulling the column apart to fix my inop turn signals and now the chime stays on all the time. I did find that depending on how the top cover is place enabled or disabled the chime. I did not remove the cylinder lock when removing my switch.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:09 PM
I have the same problem.

I think it's a loose wire.

If I move the tilt steering up and down a lot it will turn off for a few minutes.

I really don't care anymore... the new 2004 will be here in a few days.

The door chimes, door cracks and hydro-locking V6 will be someone else's problem.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I "fixed" mine. When I took the column apart to fix my turn signal problem I didn't remove the top column cover. It was held in place by the ignition column lock which I thought would be too hard to remove. Turns out it is very easy. There is a cable that clips onto the outer wall that the ignition cylinder slides into that I had broken while pushing the top cover around. Once the inside clip broke the cable fell free and the contact came into constant contact with the metal inside the column causing the chimes to go off all the time. I used some electrical tape to hold the cable in place so that it would operate correctly and I haven't had a problem since. This cable is part of a larger harness that looks like it would be easy to change out if I was to get a new one. Maybe I'll check some junk yards.

For those interested, the ignition cylinder is really easy to remove. Put your key in the ignition and turn to the ON position. Take a punch and stick through the hold in the bottom of the column cover. There is a button that you push on and the cylinder slides right out. Once you remove the tilt lever and the three screws from the bottom of the column cover you can easily remove the top and bottom column covers. Actually you will need to remove the panel that is under the instrument panel first to get the top column cover off. Easily pried from the bottom with a flat head screw driver.

Quick Reply: key-in-igniriton chime on all the time