Hey Sscully...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Hey Sscully...

Hey Steve. Long time no talk. Hope all is well.

Got a question for you regarding my new truck. I've installed my gauge pod and want to connect the wiring for the illumination to a lead that is controlled by the dimmer in the light switch.

Can you tell me a wire color combo that I might find in the driver kick panel area that I can pick up the + voltage coming from the dimmer circuit ? I have a connector there picking up power, ground, the sending units, etc. and it would be nice to keep the wiring to a minimum.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks !!!

B-Man

Old 06-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
B-Man,

Yes it has been some time, good to see another "old timmer" still around.

There are a few places to get the dimmer circuit, one quick place is the ash tray, but that is over to the pass side a bit.

From the 2001 EVTM the head lamp switch shows :
The light blue with Red stripe is the dimmer circuit that feeds the instrument cluster, ash tray illumination, and a few other things ( raidio etc..).,

I don't know if the 2004 would be the same or not, but this should be had under the main headlamp switch.

If you want quicker then the ash tray or the main head lamp switch, the illumination for the adjustable pedals is also fed from here, and is still the light blue with a red stripe circuit.

Good luck in getting it wired up, My gauge I actually have off the ash tray circuit, as that was easiest for the location of the gauge ( down by the electronic brake ctrl'r ).

Congrats on the new truck, I hope the color lines up.

Steve

Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Cool

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.

I too used the ashtray in my '01 'Screw, but in this '04 Lightning Ford did away with the ashtray AND glovebox illumination, as well as the electric pedals.

I was trying to avoid pulling the headlight switch out, because it is so easy to mark up the plastic around it. That's why I was hoping for a connection behind the kick panel...

Anyway, I'll have to check it out tonight, provided mother nature cooperates and holds off on the rain.

Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 PM

B-Man,

OK, that makes more sense. So now that I look for what you specifically asked for ....

If the door lock and power window switches are still illuminated, and the color code is still the same...

The Circuit 19 light blue with a red stripe heading toward the driver's side door.

Is does run through the driver's side kick panel, but there is no note of a connector there, so it would be following the harness back from the driver's side door and figuring out which it is.

The one on the pass side does have a connector C206. C206 is a square connector 4 x 4, and Circuit 19 is on the top by the clip, the connector is Grey in color.

The 2001 EVTM shows the color of Circuit 19 staying the same through out the truck. The pin next to this, in the connector, is light green with a black stripe. This is just to check if the harness is the same.

Good luck, hope I caught you prior to tearing into the head lamp switch.

Steve

Old 06-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Cool

Thanks again...

Well, after looking at it for quite a while, I decided to just use the illumination and switched power from the radio harness.

Of course, Mr. Murphy was right there enjoying himself (I broke the plastic "kit" that holds my Alpine tuner in the dash) and the wires were shorter and harder to reach than I remember.

I can now say this: My new gauges work and the Scosche radio installation kit from Wal-Mart for $10 is actually pretty good.

Thanks for looking that stuff up. You are the best EVTM guy on this board, followed closely by JMC IMHO. I appreciate your helpfulness and knowledge.

Hopefully, I can return the favor someday...

Old 06-12-2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by B-Man
..<snip>..Well, after looking at it for quite a while, I decided to just use the illumination and switched power from the radio harness.
..<snip>..Thanks for looking that stuff up. You are the best EVTM guy on this board, followed closely by JMC IMHO. I appreciate your helpfulness and knowledge.

Hopefully, I can return the favor someday...
I guess I should have looked under the dash area, or under the oval for the same circuit then. never thought of that.

My guess would be you have the 2 of us listed backwards, b/c JMC would have thought to tell you to go to the harness heading to the radio, saving the PITA of yanking the radio again. I'll take 2nd on that list. At least IMHO I have always thought JMC did a better job. Either way thanks for the compliment, and I am sure someday you will post something again that will help me out. That s how we do it here

Glad everything worked out in the end.

Steve

Quick Reply: Hey Sscully...