Air Horn Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Horn Install

I guess watched a few too many episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard growing up... I found this air horn kit from JC Whitney and wanted to see if anyone else had installed something similar on their rigs. When I see the words "easy install,"
I always get a little suspect. If anyone has done this, where did you mount the horns, etc?

Thanks!

Dixie Air Horns

Old 04-17-2005, 12:21 AM
horn mounting

i mounted my horns on a 2x4 and then screwed the 2x4 into the plastic fan cover, its a snug fit from the hood to where it sits but it works for me, just mounted it today actually havent done any of the wiring...its going to be a pain in the *** though,

let me know how yours turns out

Old 04-17-2005, 12:31 AM
I have the jc whitney Dixie horn with compressor on my 98 4x2 I monted it in the bumper. I took a piece of 1/8 inch flat stock steel and bolted it to the support bars in the bumper and then went across and mounted my horns there is plenty of room for the horns and the compressor and ive had it there since christmas mornin, I got it and couldnt wait so I just hooked her up. The only problem you might have is hose length, they dont give you very much but I used a piece of hose from my aquarium cleaner and it sounds perfect, not hard to install eaither. Good luck with yours and let us know how it works out.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
update

I had some problems with heat where it was before, now i have the horns in the grill, in between the "waffles" and the radiator, mounted on a 1mm thick piece of steel line with holes in it ( not sure what it is or what its called, found it in the garage)they are bolted up to the mount where the hood latch is, i've had it for about a month now, no problems yet, make sure you use some compressor oil, and pount the horns down as to not get any mud or water in them, also they recommend keeping the hoses as short as possible and the same length, for a better sound.

hope that helps,
DJ

1 more thing, *DONT USE THE MOUNTS THEY PROVIDE... all of mine broke after simply snugging them up, and inside they where a bit rusty...

Last edited by 1999f150xlt; 05-03-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Installed FIAMM twin air horns on the truck a couple of years ago and they are working loud. Located, right side engine bay (passengers side), next to the radiator support, below the headlight. A little tight, however there is enough room for the horns and the compressor, it fits well and it protected from the elements and away from engine / exhaust heat. Existing holes are available for mounting and ground wire. Mounted with the horn bell openings facing downward.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
DIXIE horns

Quick Reply: Air Horn Install