speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedometer

I just had extensive work done on my 98 f-150 extended cab. Heads, electrical and routine maintenance.

Two issue the dealer didn't fix: An irregular blinking in my right turn signal when the outside temp is below freezing until the cab warms up. And the speedometer (dial read not digital) works until the truck warms up then stops working. After a while it will work again. Dealer claims that the fix they did for the intermittent radio and no start conditions (repalcing the fuse panel) didn't fix it. They said the dash circuits had issues and needed replacing to fix it. I say no, since one mechanic (where I bought the truck) cleaned some chip shortly after I t fix: An irregular blinking in my right turn signal when the outside temp is below freezing until the cab warms up. And the speedometer (dial read not digital) works until the truck warms up then stops working. After a while it will work again. Dealer claims that the fix they did for the intermittent radio and no start conditions (repalcing the fuse panel) didn't fix it. They said the dash circuits had issues and needed replacing to fix it. I say no, since one mechanic (where I bought the truck) cleaned some chip shortly after I bought it and it was fine for months. He had told me that if it acted up again the chip would need to be replaced. Problem is the mechanic doesn't work there anymore and no one knows what chip he was talking about. I don't want to go spending $ on a new or used dash panel when that is not the problem.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Am I right

Sorry about the double wording in the original post. Tried to fix it numerous times but the board wouldn't let me. I'm afraid I am far removed from a dealership with great mechanics so I must research a lot myself.

I've read more posts on the same subjects as my question and I just want to make sure I am right about all this.

When my speedometer fails so does my odometer so therefore it is not the cluster that's the problem but the VSS. Right?

The other issue with the signal light appears to be either the wiring harness/extension harness or it's the multifuntion switch. Either the connection is loose or the internal contacts have a patina coating.

Would appreciate some guidance I get little at the dealship. They did offer me a loaner and are courteous and friendly but they should be after drojust want to make sure I am right about all this.

When my speedometer fails so does my odometer so therefore it is not the cluster that's the problem but the VSS. Right?

The other issue with the signal light appears to be either the wiring harness/extension harness or it's the multifuntion switch. Either the connection is loose or the internal contacts have a patina coating.

Would appreciate some guidance I get little at the dealship. They did offer me a loaner and are courteous and friendly but they should be after drojust want to make sure I am right about all this.

Would appreciate some guidance I get little at the dealship. They did offer me a loaner and are courteous and friendly but they should be after dropping the money I did on the repairs and maintenance (you don't want to know). The money I saved on the purchase price I just dropped in repairs.

Last edited by CindyA; 01-18-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:55 AM
What the?

why are my posts doubling info? Sorry

Quick Reply: speedometer