Calling Closer9....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Calling Closer9....

I have a friend who need some advice about wiring up a heavy duty wiring harness from suvlights.com to his truck. I let the dealer do mine so I don't know what to tell him on running the wire to the drivers side head light.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:54 PM
I'll get some pix, and tell you how I did it when I get home tonight...

It was VERY easy. There's even ground points right behind each headlight where you need them.

There's a few pix in my gallery if you wanna take a look for now...

Old 10-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Sorry, I'll have to get them tomorrow...

Old 10-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Take your time. I have mine installed by the dealer. It is for someone else to use as a reference so they can hook up the harness. The guy emailed me wanting advice and I figured you would be able to help him better than I could.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Talking HEAVY DUTY HEADLIGHT WIRING HARNESS

INVALID_ACCESS AND CLOSER9 THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE PICZ OF THE WIRING AND SOME BETTER INSTRUCTIONS....... I LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD OF MY EXPY READ THE DIRECTIONS, WELL I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT SHXXXT!!!! SO THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP! B-MAN #34:

Old 10-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Hey...

Well, the pix are going to have to wait a while. I loaned my camera to a friend, and I won't see her again till Monday, maybe Tuesday. I might be able to get my GF's camera tomorrow, and take some pix, but for now I'll just try to walk you through what I did with the pix from my gallery...

I will also recommend getting some adhesive backed wire clamps. They are black plastic with a little clip on one side to hold the wire, and double sided tape on the back. The only place I have been able to find them is Wal-Mart. Usually 6 in a pack, I think.

1.) Well, I'll start with the power supply.

In this picture you can see the two relays tucked up against the fender, on top the washer fluid reservoir and in front of the battery. I ran the power wire with the white plug, and ring terminal behind the battery. There's a bit of a channel formed by the edge of the fender. Then just ran it over to the battery solenoid, and bolted the ring terminal to the bottom of the two studs. (on mine the bottom stud has a rubber boot.) You can see the white connector of the power wire just above the negative terminal in this picture, and the gray wires that run over to the solenoid. DO NOT BOLT UP THE POWER SUPPLY NOW. WAIT TILL ALL WIRING IS IN PLACE, AND ALL SOCKETS ARE PLUGGED IN. just a safety measure...

I have since moved the relays to under the battery cover (there's just barely room...). They were getting wet sitting there. I am also considering a Stinger distribution block for my headlights, and foglights to run them directly off the battery instead of solenoid connection.

In this picture you can more clearly see the wires running to the lower stud of the solenoid, and that the relays can no longer be seen. You can also see the Stinger battery terminals I added. Much cleaner, and easier to add on.

2.) Now we'll move on to the bulb conections, and relay switch. You'll need to remove the radiator cover for this, and to do that you'll need to remove the jack handle and all the screw type fasteners (there's something like 8 or 10 of them). Once you've done that, run all the wires over or under the washer (whichever is best for you, to go under you'll probably have to unbolt it.) reservoir, and back behind the passenger's headlight. Next, you need to unplug the headlights from behind, and you'll need to remove the driver's side headlight to acces the ground screw behind it. This is very easy, just pull up on the two clips on each side of the back of the headlight, then slowly, carefully pull forward. (don't mess with the light any, and you shouldn't have to re-aim the light.)

Now, just plug the new harness into the factory wiring harness for the passenger's headlight (this is what signals the relays to switch power on and off to your headlights high beams and low beams. So, in other words your factory wiring is now ONLY being used to switch relays), and the other side will get plugged into the headlight itself.

Okay, here is where you might need to use the adhesive wire clamps. Put one on the radiator support just inside of each headlight, and run the driver's side wiring across in front of the radiator. You might need some clamps here to keep the wire from falling down behind the grill. Once on the other side just sit it aside till you put the light back in. Now if you look behind each headlight you'll see a green ground screw. Ground each healdlight there. In fact the ground wire from each isn't much longer than that. Make sure you get a good ground or you'll get no light on that side.

Here you can see the ground on the passenger's side. I pulled both headlights, you may not need to...

Now, put the headlight back in, slide the clips back down. Check the other side to make sure you have them in all the way, and plug in the headlight.

Finally put the radiator cover back on, the jack handle back, and bolt down the power supply. You should be ready to go... try 'em out...

Well, guys, hope this helps. Give it a try, and if you have any questions let me know. I'll get some better pix, as soon as I can.

Last edited by closer9; 10-24-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Thumbs up

COOL!!!! JUST GOT IN AT WORK AND LOOKING AT THE SITE AGAIN,SATURDAY NITE I HAD A CHANCE TO SHOW MY WIFE THE SITE AT HER SISTERS AND THEY TRIP ON HOW I WAS ABLE TO GET HELP TO FIX UP MY EXPY! BROTHER-IN-LAW IS A CHEVY GUY F#%K IT!!! WELL CAN'T WAIT TO GET EVERYTHING HOOKED UP!!! LATER "B-MAN"34

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Let us know how it goes, and if there's anything more you need...

Quick Reply: Calling Closer9....