Different Oil at the Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Different Oil at the Dealer?

I received a promotion mailing from a local dealer wanting to service my truck, advertising some discounts and specials. I was really surprised that on the oil change offer it said they used Castroil(sp?) and a Motorcraft filter. This dealer has many brands, not just Ford, so was surprised that Ford would allow them to use something besides Motorcraft oil.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers put anything they can find for oil. I once to my Lightning to a local ford dealer and it was $15 for Oil & Filter Change. So im like dang thats cheap. So im waiting in the lobby and deside to go to the mechanic whos changing my oil. And I ask him why is it soo cheap for this Oil Change. He's like well they recycle the used oil and use it again. So im like ok I drove home and next day I changed the oil my self and put in Amsoil 5W-30. Since then I dont trust anybody to change my trucks oil.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by SVT-Lightning
they recycle the used oil and use it again.
WHAT? Reuse, used oil? I don't believe that at all, the oil change was cheap because they get CLEAN bulk oil from the supplier whatever brand is cheapest at the time it's ordered. Unless you specify a specific brand you get the bulk stuff, which is just as good as anything you buy yourself. As long as you change it by the 3000 mile mark it's fine.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dealers can use whatever oil they want, as long as it meets the specifications that Ford sets for their oil, which covers a lot of different brands of oil. Most dealers will use whatever bulk oil they can find for the cheapest; as long as it meets Ford spec, they aren't really doing anything wrong.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by SVT-Lightning
they recycle the used oil and use it again.
They don't recycle it in the sense that you're thinking. It's not like they drain it out of the guy's truck in front of you and then pump it right back into your truck.

All the used oil goes into a huge tank. Every so often the Safety-Kleen guy (or whoever they have recycling their oil for them) comes and empties the tank. They take it back to the plant and clean it up and put more additives in it. Then they re-sell it as recycled oil.

Oil itself (the base stock) never wears out. Over time, the additives get depleted and it gets dirty from being used in the engine. Once they clean all the contaminants out of it and load it up with fresh additives again, the recycled stuff is just as good as the brand new oil you buy off the shelf.

If I could find recycled oil for sale around here, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use it in my truck.

Quick Reply: Different Oil at the Dealer?