Mike, closed loop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mike, closed loop?

Mike,

At what point does the computer go "closed loop" or full control? Is it at about 180 degrees F? I know what your thinking...here we go with the 160 degree thermostat issue. The reason I ask is that it seems that if the engine is running at 160 degrees, it's life expectancy should increase. I know the performance issue behind it is that if the computer thinks that the truck is not warm enough yet, it will squirt a bit more go go juice in the cylinders.

When Superchip does the programming, does the temperature also get "plugged in" to the settings. I know Superchip says to stay with the factory 180 turdmostat.

My 2002 4x4 with the 5.4L has about 5500-6000 miles and I'm thinking about switching to the lower thermo if it's worth it. I am also wanting to get the Superchip soon, but my ex-wife keeps my butt tied up in court so much lately, I may just have to wait.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Creole in Louisiana

Old 04-10-2002, 03:19 AM
Just my .02, but I wouldn't put a cooler stat in even if the truck did stay closed loop. There is no real advantage to doing it unless you were running enough mods that the factory cooling system is over worked.

Most race vehicles are run at higher than normal temps, and there is a reason for it.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Creole0323,

Turdmostat, eh? Hadn't thought of it quite that way.

It's not so much a matter of coolant temperature as it is a matter of the O2 sensors needing to reach a certain temperature in order for them to be able to provide the signal interpreted by the ECU as oxygen content in the exhaust stream. Many systems require an O2 sensor temp. of 600 degrees to go closed-loop, for example.

Using an abnormally cold thermostat can and many times will cause a longer warmup time in effect, but beyond that, it's a matter of what coolant temperature is the engine actually most efficient at. And that is about 200 degrees, which is why, as Signmaster very kindly pointed out in his response, even race cars have their cooling systems configured so that the motor will run about 190-200 degrees (though they'll sometimes run hotter in traffic of course, just like a street car), they're designed to provide a nominal coolant operating temperature of about 200 degrees. That is because that is the temperature needed to make the absolute highest raw power output, and not too coincidentally, also get the best fuel mileage & lowest emissions. Efficiency.

The wear on your engine basically happens at startup, at least 90% or more of the actual wear on engine parts happens on cold start, while the engine is turning & running but is not yet getting oil to all it's internal parts. The amount of actual parts wear once they are fully lubricated is extremely small, to the point that it's almost inconsequential. Using a 160 degree thermostat is not going to change that appreciably.

Most of these F-150's use a 190-194 degree thermostat; the Lightning gets a 180 degree thermostat, which is what you have in your 2002.

I have gone to a 170 degree thermostat in our 2001 Lighnting, but that is because we have other changes to it's cooling system, it has been converted over to electric fan cooling. However, the system still runs at the same coolant temperatures it did before, with how the fan turn-on & turn-off temps are set in the thermostatic control. Unless you are going to be doing primarily drag racing, or you convert to an electric cooling fan setup & have the thermostatic control specifically calibrated for a 170 degree thermostat, I advise that you not change it at all.

If you do change it due to one of the above situations, do not go lower than 170 degrees, is our suggestion, 160 is just too low for anything other than a strictly drag strip-only vehicle.

Our suggestion is to just leave it alone (unless you're going to do an electric fan setup like we use), that way the engine will make more power, you'll maybe get a tad bit better mpg, and the heater will work properly if you drive it anytime other than Summer.

Have fun!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 04-12-2002 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Re: Mike, closed loop?

Originally posted by Creole0323

My 2002 4x4 with the 5.4L has about 5500-6000 miles and I'm thinking about switching to the lower thermo if it's worth it.

Mike,
A 4x4 Lightning???Cool! That's what I've been waiting for!!

Old 04-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey Rebel,

D-oh!

Caught me dead wrong to rights, didn't you?

I just had to go back and edit that. I only wish there were a 4X4 Lightning, as we'd probably have owned the first one out here in the mountains, and trade a couple other F-150's so that we had a hot-rod 2WD Lightning, a 4WD version, and then of course, the 4-door Lightning, meaning a vehicle that actually exists, the new 2002 supercharged Harley model.

I guess I was thinking about our Lightning too much at the end of that response, or something. Never let it be said that I'm afraid to stick my foot squarely, deeply, and so very obviously in my mouth. Thanks for pointing that out, I'd never have caught that if you hadn't.

Old 04-14-2002, 04:56 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mike,

If there was ever a Lightning offered in a 4x4 configuration, guess where the first one would be.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi JMC,

Of course, silly me!

In that same vein, if the 2001 Harley model had been available with 4WD, we'd have one of those sitting in the driveway instead of the F-150 Lariat ORP.

I've been giving some thought to picking up a blown '02 Harley Super Crew model for our tow vehicle, to tow the Lightning around. But then we still need a 4WD vehicle out here in the mountains, so we're back to square one there.

Right about now I'm wishing we had gone for the Powerstroke diesel in a F-250 or F-350 Crew Cab w/4WD instead of the F-150 Lariat ORP, but Anita wanted the Lariat, & you know how that goes...................

So we'll most likely just throw some steep gears in the F-150 & tow the Lightning at slower speeds than I normally like to be able to tow at for awhile.................

Quick Reply: Mike, closed loop?