Superchip vs. [Insert Name Here]

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip vs. [Insert Name Here]

Someone was telling me today that they through a different chip brand (other than Superchips) made a better chip. I tonl this person that the Superchip brand was the only one that shows an increase through all RPM's. Was I correct in telling him so and what other brands are out there? What is better/worse?

Old 11-11-2001, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi San Tropez,

These kinds of "arguments" can get confusing on the details if you're not either in the industry or intimately familiar with all the major players and really keep up on just what each chipmaker is doing. It's easy to remember a detail wrong, or make a mistake in saying who does what, etc. it even happens to us from time to time!

Many chips will gain power at all rpms, in fact, most of them do, that really doesn't mean w whole lot in and of itself, in terms of "differentiation" between various chips.

However, the vast majority of them only add power on full-throttle, and *that* is one of the keys. Many chipmakers, like Jet, Hypertech, etc will go to great lengths to make the consumer focus in on claims like "power gains throughout the entire rpm range", when reality is, this means very little.

What means far more are things like, is the chip made to precisely match the exact software revision (computer code) in each individual vehicle, and does it actually tune the engine so that more power is made not only at all rpms, but far more importantly, at any **throttle position**. In other words, is it made for *your* vehicle and does it work adding power *all* the time, at *any* throttle position, those are the key issues with regard to your discussion.

Making more power "all across the rpm rnage" means next to nothing, as virtually everyone does that, as you can be at full-throttle at any rpm. So that kind of claim can easily be made, but it means very little in this context. It's a marketing statement that tends to make people think that it actually means there is more power all the time, when in fact, 99% of the chips out there only add power on full-throttle. You can be at full-throttle at *any* rpm.

Superchips and Diablo are the only 2 "name" chipmakers that are tuning each vehicle according to it's exact software revision in its powertrain computer, and that tune the engine to add power all the time, at any throttle position.

Superchips is the only company that does all of that and still has 50-state emissions certifications as well, in addition to being the company that started it all back in 1983.

I hope that helps,

Old 11-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

How many keyboards do you go through in a year? (heh heh)

Old 11-12-2001, 08:00 PM
He's gotta type 1000 wpm!! Probably a few keyboards!

Old 11-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny you should ask, gentlemen, as I can't find any quality keyboards.

I use up about 2-3 keyboards per year, as hardly anyone makes a quality keyboard anymore, now that the Northgate Omnikey keyboards haven't been around for about 5-6 years. I had one of those that lasted me over 3 years!

I'm using Microsoft keyboards, which are crappola, but they have one of the better layouts on their largest split-keyboards, thought their quality is sadly lacking, just as it is in the Logitech & other keyboards on the market.

If anyone ever hears of Northgate (or anyone else) shipping something comparable to the Northgate Omnikey units, I'd love to know about it so I can stock up on a few!

Quick Reply: Superchip vs. [Insert Name Here]