What am I missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CCD01
To be a little more specific as to incorrect mph, when I am doing 70 on freeway, speedo reads 85. And yes, it is my suspicion that indeed the previous owner may have had bigger tires and the requisite higher gear ratio.
However, in my experience you don't go to the doctor to confirm that yes, you are dying, but rather that you are in trouble but I think we can help/save you. Is it really relevant what the percentage is, or that I am still dying. I haven't bothered to mention that the used cluster has 123,000 miles and the purchased/title disclosure states 174,000 so guess what that does to title and sale ability? Surely if you can allow the substitution of one cluster for another in a Ford proprietary security program then can change the odometer. If I had purchased a brand new Ford cluster with 0 miles would that be the miles that I would start with making it a brand new truck?
I am not sure what the suggestion to have my speedo read 2/3 miles faster than 75mph is based on since at present I only have the benefit of the power of prayer, but as previously stated I have ordered an Edge Evolution CS so that I can control my own destiny. However, I will always wonder "what am I missing" if it had been a YUGO I would known I should have missed it.
CCD01 - my post was an attempt to help you once you had your CS in hand. Both the "16%" figure and the 2-3 mph numbers were given to tell you what settings to enter to correct the speedometer/odometer readout.

If you want to try to adjust things by pure trial and error, feel free. I have no dog in this fight - please don't take your frustrations out on us.

As to the original cluster having been defective, my guess is, it was not. The speed reading displayed is a function of the program in the truck's computer, not really anything in the cluster. But, when you substituted the new cluster, the dealer had to do something to the Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) to allow you to start the truck with the new one installed. I have no idea if the odometer readout can be reset without showing it has been tampered with. But, from the responses you have gotten from the dealership, I also suspect they are not the brightest bulbs when it comes to the problems you are wanting to correct. A different dealer would be a good move, I think.

The Edge CS should allow you to reprogram the truck's computer so that the speedometer reads correctly and that your mileage traveled from this point forward will be accurate. It will not reset the current odometer value to anything new.

Again, my posts are an attempt to help you. So were Bluejay's and Tarajerame's. Roadie was a bit off in his estimate of the tire size change needed, but he was not giving you a hard time. If you don't like what we offer, please feel free to vote with your feet.

- Jack

Quick Reply: What am I missing