expert knowledge needed! I need a custom tune...bad!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up expert knowledge needed! I need a custom tune...bad!

I am going to try to make this as short as possible but it will be hard. But basically, i have some head work and bolt ons done to my 2002 5.4 motor. I went through PHP tune with my Edge Evolution programmer to try to get it tuned but it ran like ****! So i never used the tune, and the stock tune isnt working for me either. It kills a lot, its boggy, intake back fires, ect.

Whats done to the motor (what i need a tune for):

*Comp Cams #102600 with 5 angle ported heads,Trick Flow valves and Comp Cam springs
*Yukon 4.56 Gears with Eaton posi unit
*Moser axles and diff cover
*K&N intake
*Edge programmer
*Pulleys
*Full true dual with long tubes.
*BBK 75MM throttle body

Ever since i did the head work and cams, it "lopes" bad, stalls out, and just doesnt seem to have the power it should. I KNOW there has to be more power.

The issues i think i am having:

The truck is a 1999 that came with a 4.6 with COIL PACKS. I dont know how crucial it is, but i feel like the 2002 PI 5.4 motor is causing some issues for me. I did the swap to the T on the write up found on f150online. When i installed the motor the first time with just bolt on mods, it ran as it should. After i did the headwork, these symptoms started to arise, and i just never did anything about it, other then attempting to go through PHP performance for a custom tune.

The question: What programmer should i be using? Is the Edge evolution not going to cut it anymore? Where can i get a custom tune that will actually work?

Any information would be great, as i have been trying to figure this out for 3 years!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could try and call up 5 star tuning and talk to them, they are very knowledgeable and should be able to set you up. If not you may want to look into dyno tuning.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PHP makes custom tunes that you give them your info and they make a tune based off of the engine specs

I just put mine back on "91 Performance Custom Tune" after filling up last night and it boggles my mind how much more ***** the truck gets

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thelariat02
You could try and call up 5 star tuning and talk to them, they are very knowledgeable and should be able to set you up. If not you may want to look into dyno tuning.

I will check into 5 star tuning, do they do it via edge evolution like PHP does?
I have the gryphon upgrade and PHP was not successful at tuning my set up.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No, PHP is the only company that can custom tune Edge products. 5 Star uses SCT.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm going to suggest to you that a tune from anyone will not fix your problem. I think you've got a problem in your base setup that needs to be fixed BEFORE you even think about a tune.

Since you said the problems started with "the head work and cams", I'd look there first. As far as I know, a tune simply refines a properly set up powertrain and yours doesn't seem to fit that criteria.

I suspect there are more knowledgeable folks here like glc who will correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, have at it.

- Jack

Old 04-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you degree the cams and have ~ 20 on your vac gauge at idle? if you are still using the the stock tune, it will give you a 600 rpm idle in drive, needs to be 700 at idle , 750 at idle in P or N or higher depending on the cams. Also, what did you do with the IMRC valve? It can only be deleted if deleted in the tune as well.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
how many datalogs did you send back to PHp?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The cam specs are pretty mild, IMHO, I would look 1st at the ECM....perhaps static electricity damage the unit or software

Quick Reply: expert knowledge needed! I need a custom tune...bad!