Two Questions About Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Questions About Tuning

OK, I'll try to make this brief. Just have a couple questions. Truck specs in my sig.

1. I have an SCT X3 tuned by 5 star. I had the three 87 tunes put on there. I am currently using the 87 performance. My question is, do I need to flip over to 87 tow if I'm towing something as small as a little pop up trailer (aliner weighs a bit over 1500lbs)? Driving it roughly 2.5 hours each way this weekend.

2. My next question is actually in regards to my tunes. I was stupid in getting my 3 tunes you get with the purchase as all 87 tunes. Dumb. I've always wanted to try the 93 performance. So the question is, should I have my truck hooked up to a dyno here locally (found a shop that did custom tuning on my brothers lightning) or just have 5 star write me a tune for 93 performance? Quite a difference in price obviously, just not sure if its worth it to hook my truck up to a dyno versus going with a slightly more generic tune from 5 star.

Those are my questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
1. Probably not, but I would ask 5 Star to confirm. I think a performance tune is okay up to about a 2500# load/tow. However, why would you not want to use the tow tune?

2. I'd just have 5 Star do it.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Bill at PHP has stated that you are ok to tow up to about 2500 lbs with his performance tunes. You should be fine unless you are in some very steep hills. But as glc said, why not switch tunes, you have it and it is the same octane.

Also, as glc said, I would go with the email tune from 5 Star unless your obective is to get all you can out of your 93 tune. That was never my objective, so I was quite happy with the email tunes.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks y'all.

glc - really isn't about not wanting to use it, just wasn't sure if it was silly to make that switch for such a low payload. I'll give it a try though for sure. Why not as you said. It was more just "is it overkill and not enough weight to utilize the tune" kind of question.

both - and I generally agree about just going with 5 star. With my truck not being a "performance" vehicle figured it wasn't really worth $400+ to hook it up to a dyno and then get a tune.

Thanks y'all! Appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: Two Questions About Tuning