Diablosport vs. Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not any mention, that you use a huge bumpersticker like "tape" to seal off the computer after installing a Diablo chip. also the Superchip is potted, and no dust or moisture can ever enter it.
I concur with everything Ken800 has found with the Diablo and Superchips, I think he is copying my other post from a while back..........LOL.

Old 08-10-2001, 01:33 PM
IT'S CALLED SCREAMING.......

Originally posted by BIGREDEXPY
Hey Mike when did you guys start carry DIABLO ? I thought you only sold SUPERCHIP?

Thank you for clearing up the whole tape issue. Some guys made it seen like it was a tacky product held together by tape. I have nothing against tape.

When it comes to my EXPY I have very very high standards. I want the best performance along with the best custom fit.(some guys are like me they only want the best with no room for error)

So I guess I have to wait for Diablo to gain the performance of the SuperChip and SuperChip to aquire the custom fit of the Diablo.

I know that most things are held by tape, but if it could be avoided, then I would rather go that route.

Thanks again Mike
I'm glad your "high standards" caused you to stop using 'all caps'

Old 08-10-2001, 01:43 PM
Re: IT'S CALLED SCREAMING.......

IT IS NOT SCREAMING ! It is getting you point across

Its very very high standards, not just high

Or
iginally posted by LIGHTNINROD

I'm glad your "high standards" caused you to stop using 'all caps'

Old 08-10-2001, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jstang,

Good to "see:" you again!

It does seem like others are haivng similar experiences to yours with regards to the comparison between the Diablo & the Superchip.

I just had to tell you that Anita (my wife) is enjoying the shirt you sent with the autographs, etc., even more than I thought she would. In fact, she wears it on Sunday's sometimes when we watch the Winston Cup races. I can't tell you how happy that made her John, thanks, that was very nice of you! I know I've said that before, but it bears repeating, especially when something that seems like a normal gift "on the surface" keeps giving my wife so much enjoyment. Thank you.

Hope all is well with you & your family & stay safe on the job!

Old 08-10-2001, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi BIGREDEXPY,

You're very welcome of course!

I kinda thought that might be the case, so that's why I wanted to just go over that tape issue with you a bit.

We recently picked up the Diablo line, for a couple of reasons.

First, just so everyone is clear, we didn't do that because the Superchip changed, or suddenly became any less effective or desirable, not in the least. All of our vehicles are still wearing Superchips. We have previously tested Diablo units for a number of FoMoCo vehicles, ranging from F-150's to V-10's to Powerstroke diesels, etc., just as we always evalute any bonafide competitor in this industry, so we *know* what their products do as compared to other similar products as well as the Superchip.

As we've always said, we do not care what the name is on the outside of the box, we care about the quality of the powertrain program *inside*, as that is what the vehicle runs on.

One of the reasons we picked up their line, in all candor, was we felt that it was needed for the F-150 Online community here, to keep these message boards calmer, and put a stop to some of the silly arguments from a few people with obvious agendas trying to promote Diablo by doing blatant advertising on the boards (this just recently resulted in one individual being banned from F-150 Online), starting arguments, encouraging devisiveness, and the people who were trying to claim ridiculous things like this site is somehow deliberately biased and not allowing other products, etc. These message boards are supposed to serve the purpose of facilitating the ongoing exchange of relevant & factual information, and we feel that this will be helped by adding that line. This is not to say that we would ever let a few troublemakers make us change our policies or how we do business, not at all. We are who we are, and we do what we feel is right, no metter what our detractors do.

We feel that with us picking up the line and making it available thru us right here, that this would serve to give people their own choice directly from *us*, and be able to get more information about the different products, so they can decide what they feel works best for them.

Diablo is the only other "name" chipmaker tuning at all throttle positions besides Superchips, and so is the only other company in this industry whose products we would consider to be worth taking a look at, as the others are mostly generic in nature and tune the motor mostly on full-throttle only, not worth having. So let the consumer make up his or her own mind, without all the various "factions" getting into all the same old arguments here on these message boards, from either side.

This does not in any way change how we feel about Superchips, so for anyone reading this post, please don't make that assumption, as it wouldn't be even close to correct. We have not changed in any way how we feel about Superchips Inc., that company is near and dear to our hearts, we've worked with them for a long time, and will continue to for a long time to come.

I feel that it all gets down to a basic matter of *credibility* and fairness to the F-150 Online community that we work so hard to serve.

There are other reasons also, but I don't want to get into a long diatribe here. Suffice it to say that we felt it was the right thing to do, for any number of reasons, and so now there is that additional choice. Overall, we feel it will be a very positive thing for F-150 Online, and *that* is the single most important factor on our minds here at Performance, as we are devoted to making F-150 Online the best it can be, in what small ways we can contribute to all of that.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 08-10-2001 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Chipping

I drive a '96 4x4 5spd and am curious as to whether or not a chip is going to do much difference. Plans are to put in an intake, cam, headers, MAF, and throddle body. Just to give it a little more juice.

Is it still worth the chip, because as far as I can tell, they really only improve performance on Auto's..

Old 08-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Please read this with a grain of salt! No Flames! If you don't agree, fine. Just my experiences...

Well, it has been quite a while and I have put at least 200-300 miles on both a supership and a diablo sport in my 5.4L supercrew. Here are my findings for those that care...

The Diablo:
It seemed the Diablo was bad out of the box. Gave it time and it improved significantly. The most noticeable difference was partial throttle off the line acceleration. It was much quicker to respond off the line. The 1-2 shift was softer than I expected. In fact, I don't know if it made a difference there at all as the factory computer will increase firmness at WOT. The 2-3 shift was somewhat more firm, but still not what I was looking for. It seemed like the truck downshifted with light accelerator application which made the truck feel more responsive. Overall, I was satisfied with the performance although I had higher expectations. Until I tried the superchip, I had nothing to go by, so those expectations were unfounded and unreachable I suspect.

Superchip: Same thing. I noticed only shifting, but no power at the beginning. After a 300+ miles, I am actually kind of disappointed. I expected the performance of the superchip to be better overall and at least better than the Diablo. I would give the diablo the nod for off the line jump. It seemed to be peppier and more responsive in the lower rpms. The shifting is MUCH firmer. Very impressed there. The 1-2 is very strong and you can feel the truck jump forward with authority. Undoubtedly, this would cut 1/4 mile times alone. It seems like the superchip takes too much throttle to trigger a downshift so I sometimes think it feels a little sluggish compared to the diablo. Off the line it still has good snap, but still falls short of the Diablo.

I don't know if the chips affect the downshift based on throttle position or not. Just a perception. If not, then the Diablo is better across the entire powerband in my opinion as I am attributing some of the perceived performance to quicker downshifts without flooring it.

So, to make this incredibly long story short, I give the performance nod to Diablo and the Shifting nod to Superchip. Damn! I wish I could combine them. I will drive the S-chip a little while longer before I decide whether or not to swap back. If I can get Diablo to do a custom program to firm up the shift even more, I may go that route... If I can get a Superchip to downshift with less throttle application, maybe that route?

PS. This is my opinion and my truck. If you don't agree, fine. This is what I experienced. I live in Houston. Hot, Humid, and Hot. Unless you drive like I do, have the same exhaust I do, have the same FIPK I do, and drive the same times I do, your results may (will) vary so NO FLAMES!

Last edited by ken800; 08-13-2001 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:46 PM
Real good feedback Ken, that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for from this site. Excellent job!

Old 08-13-2001, 08:50 PM
The increased deceleration (as though the tranny was downshifted when letting off the gas) happens even in trucks without chips. I reported about a year or two about my experience with resetting my computer on my '99 (no chip). The transmission shifted differently and when I let off the gas, it was as though it downshifted. This unusual downshifting goes away after a couple of start cycles.

I'd have to say it's a "Ford thing" caused by resetting the computer and not a chip created abnormality.

Old 08-15-2001, 01:26 AM
I experienced the same thing with deceleration after the dealer reprogramed my computer and as was said prior, it soon went away, kind of strange. I have no experience with aftermarket chips yet.
Terry

Old 08-15-2001, 06:11 AM
Arrow mike?

Mike T,

If your company aquired the company that produces diablo chips,
why does your company offer the diablo chip since you firmyly believe the superchip is a superior product. If this isnt the case are you going to work off the 2 programs to create a new superchip? I feel there are a ton of un-answered questions here.
So how about it mike?

Old 08-15-2001, 04:07 PM
Mooseman, I wonder what Mike was talking about when he posted about why he added the Diablo chip to his line of products, just a few messages prior to your post? Hmmm????

Old 08-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Dennis,

Well said!

Old 08-15-2001, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi WHisper,

Sounds like you may not have had a chance to read much of the comments here on F-150 Online about the people with manual transmissions using the Superchip. There's some great info that has been posted in this section, if you'd care to do a search for those kinds of posts it might be worthwhile. That is, I *think* the search function is back up to snuff, I know it was a little flakey when Steve was sorting out the server issues, etc., and now the board is flying again as it should. So hopefully you can take advantage of the info available here via the "search" feature of these message boards.

There are plenty of them here, and the Superchip adds the same amount of power whether you have a manual or an automatic transmission. In fact, with a manual tranmission, you will get more of that power gain to the rear wheels and working on the pavement than the same truck with an automatic transmission would, as manuals take about half as much power to turn as the automatics do.

The manuals also still have various delays, such as the full power onset delay, etc. Between that andteh fact that you gain as much power in the engine with either type of transmission, it benefits the manual transmission vehicles every bit as much from the use of the Superchip as the automatics see.

If you'd like to go over any of this in detail, please feel free to give us a shout, and in the meantime, you might want to try the search function for posts from other manual-transmission vehicle owners using the Superchip, you'll find they're very positive.

One of the more recent threads was posted by "12vRep".

I hope that info helps just a bit, & best of luck with your truck!

Old 08-15-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi Dennis,

Well said!
BTW, I think it's smart business for you to be selling the Diablo chip. From what I'm reading, it's the closest thing to the Superchips product. So, if Diablo turns out to be second best, how can you go wrong selling both lines? If Diablo turns out to be better, you and the F150online members win.

Quick Reply: Diablosport vs. Superchip