2001 5.4 Tuner yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 5.4 Tuner yes or no?

So I have an '01 Screw with a 5.4. I've been thinking about a tuner. I read the thread explaining them and think I understand the differences, but I'm looking for some specific help.
I have 33" tires and my spedo is off about 5 mph. I'd like to correct that. I'd like to have more power and less lag in passing. I'd like to have more power in general, and better fuel efficiency (at least not any worse). I'd like the tranny to shift better under full load (stay in power band).
Sometimes I tow up to about 5000 lbs and want the tuner to be able to accomodate that.

I'd be looking for a used programmer.
So, my questions are:

What programmers offer canned tunes that do what I am asking for?

Will I have any problems being that my truck is 10 years old and the stock pcm may be accounting for things like gummed up fuel injectors, etc?

How much hp can really be gained with this engine with canned tunes?

If I run canned tunes now, and some day decide to go custom,(say I get some extra money) what do I need to do?

What do you guys recommend?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hyperpac Max Energy Programmer will do this for you. It will give you a tuning curve for 87 octane, which gives 7 HP & 19 TQ, & a tune for 91 octane premium fuel, 10 HP & 29 TQ. This unit will let you firm up shifts & raise shift points & raise your rev limiter.It will raise the top speed limiter. You can can recalibrate your speedometer & odometer for different tire sizes or different gear ratio. With a new unit you will have warranty. The part number for this 42000. For more info contact Gary @ Hypertech

Last edited by Hypertech Suppo; 09-16-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypertech Suppo
The Hyperpac Max Energy Programmer will do this for you. It will give you a tuning curve for 87 octane, which gives 7 HP & 19 TQ, & a tune for 91 octane premium fuel, 10 HP & 29 TQ. This unit will let you firm up shifts & raise shift points & raise your rev limiter.It will raise the top speed limiter. You can can recalibrate your speedometer & odometer for different tire sizes or different gear ratio. With a new unit you will have warranty. The part number for this 42000. For more info contact Gary @ Hypertech
while hypertech is one of the better canned tuning devices, it cannot be compared to a custom tune designed for the driver, mods, and hex code...

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by saserby
So I have an '01 Screw with a 5.4. I've been thinking about a tuner. I read the thread explaining them and think I understand the differences, but I'm looking for some specific help.
I have 33" tires and my spedo is off about 5 mph. I'd like to correct that. I'd like to have more power and less lag in passing. I'd like to have more power in general, and better fuel efficiency (at least not any worse). I'd like the tranny to shift better under full load (stay in power band).
Sometimes I tow up to about 5000 lbs and want the tuner to be able to accomodate that.

I'd be looking for a used programmer.
So, my questions are:

What programmers offer canned tunes that do what I am asking for?

Will I have any problems being that my truck is 10 years old and the stock pcm may be accounting for things like gummed up fuel injectors, etc?

How much hp can really be gained with this engine with canned tunes?

If I run canned tunes now, and some day decide to go custom,(say I get some extra money) what do I need to do?

What do you guys recommend?

you need to regear the truck (or go back to stock size tires) as well as get a custom tune...

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4 Tuner yes or no?