Superchips Flashpaq 1815 & 1865

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchips Flashpaq 1815 & 1865

Hey guys,
I'm doing research on what to do with "performance enhancement" of my truck. I just want something simple...no fancy hardware, CAI, exhaust, etc. Just a simple horsepower boost. Nothing major.

I'm readind up on the Superchips Flashpaqs, and I've found several resources saying that the 87 Octane program adds 27 hp to the 5.4L Triton. Now, I've also found some sites saying only 14 hp! That's a considerable difference. Does anyone know the ACTUAL hp gains with no other modifications??

The second question I have is...I read a review of the Flashpaq saying that, even though the Flashpaq enhances the performance settings of the ECU, the truck then counter-regulates these upgraded settings anyway??? Apparently, this just negates the re-programming? I find that hard to believe, but need to know the answers before taking the plunge.

Feel free to chime in, guys...I'm quite uneducated in this area.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubs_17
Hey guys,
I'm doing research on what to do with "performance enhancement" of my truck. I just want something simple...no fancy hardware, CAI, exhaust, etc. Just a simple horsepower boost. Nothing major.

I'm readind up on the Superchips Flashpaqs, and I've found several resources saying that the 87 Octane program adds 27 hp to the 5.4L Triton. Now, I've also found some sites saying only 14 hp! That's a considerable difference. Does anyone know the ACTUAL hp gains with no other modifications??

The second question I have is...I read a review of the Flashpaq saying that, even though the Flashpaq enhances the performance settings of the ECU, the truck then counter-regulates these upgraded settings anyway??? Apparently, this just negates the re-programming? I find that hard to believe, but need to know the answers before taking the plunge.

Feel free to chime in, guys...I'm quite uneducated in this area.

I have had my truck programmed with the 1815 for almost 4 years now and can tell you that the truck doesn't negate the changes. It will change it a little bit, but not that much. When I first change my tune it will run a little different, then settle in. The shifts will stay nice and firm (if that is how you set them) and the power will stay good. I will say that I burn a lot of gas going from 1-2 because I love the way my truck feels and sounds when taking off hard and shifting into 2nd.

Check the classifieds here, I know there was an 1815 on there yesterday or I am willing to sell/trade mine. I am going to go a different route with my truck and get some appearance stuff (smoked LED tails/3rd, HD heads type of stuff). That and I don't drive as much as I used to so I can handle not having the power gains and better shifting.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
What year is your truck?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a '07 with the 5.4. I love what the canned tunes did for my truck in respects to power, response, trans shifts, and even mileage on the 87 perf tune. And with some combos, SC reports very near the same power improvements with 87 as 91 octane. In Feb 10 I contacted Troyers Perf about a tuner for it, I had only a catback sI/DO exhaust and low restriction air intake tube.

I was looking at custom tunes and tuner, they recommended the Superchips Flashpaq 1865 instead.

I drove over there that evening (it's maybe 40 miles) and after talking at length to Glenn, purchased one and he did the initial install that evening. I've never yet felt the desire to run out my tank to near empty running to fill it with high test just to try that tune, with current prices, not apt to any time soon either.

He suggested the 87 perf tune for my uses, and the difference was immediate and still there. better, sharper response, noticeable power i ncrease, better shifting, less hunting between OD and 3rd, etc. Many will say they did not see a milaege improvement but I did. I drive easy on my personal vehicles and seemed to note improvement, theough hard to know for sure unless checking with tank to tank runs over the road under simular conditions.

Last year I took her to Indy and tried stock, MileageXS, and the 87 Perf Tune. Best mileage was easily the 87 Perf Tune as Glenn said it likely would be. The Mileage XS Tune killed power and response, heavy throttle was needed on grades. Might help in Kansas or Nebraska, it sucked in W Va. and PA. Stock wqas "stock". On a highway road trip, doing the math, I've seen 20-20.5 mpg at 60 - 65 mph several times over several hundred miles. Best seen stock wqas 18-18.5.

Superchips claims that the Flashpaq 1865 on 2004-08 F150 with 5.4L 3V results in :
87oct Perf w/ 6K Tow = 25 hp and 28 ftlbs of torque at the wheels
93oct Perf w/ No Tow = 27 hp and 30 ftlbs of torque at the wheels
Heavy tow up to MAX = 11 hp and 11 ftlbs of torque at the wheels

Not all applications see the same increases, nor do they even always see simular between 87 and 93. I haven't seen dyno charts, but I know what a difference the 87 octane tune made and it's canned and instantly available. Last update I did increased tow from 4K to 6K.

I give it a big

And no wqaiting for custom tunes or fixes.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:54 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Just looking back.

Well now, here it is August 04, 2020 and truck has been on the 87 tune with 6K towing since 'tuned', it's been near flawless.
10+ years, FP1865 stays stashed in the truck.

12-18-20: Put truck back to stock yesterday, updated the FP1865, was surprised that SC even had updates as I had updated it a few years ago, and have had the 1865 since Feb 2010. Wonder what else there was to learn? Anyway, put the updated 87 tune back in. Runs like a top.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-18-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq 1815 & 1865