edge evo performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edge evo performance questions

Well guys i think its time to make the performance of the truck match the way it sounds. Im thinking of the edge evo. Ive been doing some research and i know you can gain up to 35 hp and 50 lb/tq. I know there are 3 different levels to tune for and im just wondering what the over all performance gains are going to be. Like how much better acceleration am i going to get, how much faster will it go, etc. I couldnt find any info on these things. Any additional info is also appreciated. thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just remember these trucks ain't sports cars they're bricks on wheels.

Since you're looking at the edge evolution....

My best advice is go with the original monochrome Gryphon with custom tunes and then you'll appreciate the money you've spent.

IDK about your numbers that your quoting?
PHP #s for a 5.4 3v are

Up to......
Custom tuned 93 octane. 35hp/45tq
Custom tuned 87 octane. 25hp/?tq
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...tom-tunes.html

Last edited by 88racing; 11-22-2010 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ykt legend
Well guys i think its time to make the performance of the truck match the way it sounds. Im thinking of the edge evo. Ive been doing some research and i know you can gain up to 35 hp and 50 lb/tq. I know there are 3 different levels to tune for and im just wondering what the over all performance gains are going to be. Like how much better acceleration am i going to get, how much faster will it go, etc. I couldnt find any info on these things. Any additional info is also appreciated. thanks
Man you will smoke your tires all the way up to 90 mph and get 35 mpg

In all seriousness though you will notice a good improvement on acceleration and the shift points. Overall it is worth it. I wont drive my truck without the edge installed.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Man you will smoke your tires all the way up to 90 mph and get 35 mpg

In all seriousness though you will notice a good improvement on acceleration and the shift points. Overall it is worth it. I wont drive my truck without the edge installed.

x2 lol!! hey kingranch, did you get your new battery in?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by radar's FX4
x2 lol!! hey kingranch, did you get your new battery in?
Yea got the best interstate battery that is available. Still havent hooked the edge back up though. Waiting till i get home before i do it, be my luck i will be walking if i do it anywhere else

Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM
as far as the tune levels (level 1,2&3) whats the difference?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fuel grade you can use and the way the transmission shifts.
I run tune 3, 91 octane. love it. wish had a custom tune though

Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It made a huge difference on my truck. I'm running level 3 right now. I want to run a tank thru on it to check my mileage and compare it to level 2 so I can see if it is worth running the higher octane or not. The truck is so much more driver friendly now. Not only is the throttle lag gone, it accelerates much faster.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Level 1.... tranny only......any octane....stock fuel af used and timing.
Level 2....tow...85-89 octane.....great take offs not much in the top end.
Level 3.....performance....91-93 octane....great tune for upper rpms.

Get custom tunes then you don't have to be worried about the octane being a Limiting factor, you can get octane specific performance tunes.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Well, shucks - '88 went ahead and spoon-fed ya . ^^

[ Side note - these are how Edge set up the levels - those constriants may not apply to other tuning or custom tunes. Example - I currently am running a VMP custom 87 tow tune - and it pulls hard EVERYWHERE - there are NO top-end/low-end compromises. This is another vote to just go (SCT) custom and be done with it. Very little wait times as well. ]

Time fer you to buckle down and answer some of yer questions for yerself - most everything you need to know is in these documents:

Model 15051:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-277.pdf

CS/CTS:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-346.pdf

As for performance - do not expect miracles on a ~6,000lb brick with huge drivetrain losses, high rolling resistance, a poorly-geared 4-spd tranny, and possessing of barn-door aeros.

The HP/TQ gains the marketing wingnuts provide are laughable - expect much less - and realize that the gains you may get will differ from others given vast product and mass-production variations, and the plethora of different OEM calibrations (hundreds). Not to mention, individual truck's state of tune/maintenance/fuel quality, etc, etc.

A lot of folks have chitty butt-dynos as well - so some complain they 'feel' no real gains - as a small percentage of total output these gains represent on said boat-anchor, that may well be the case - but there are at least some. The thing most folks can really discern is the totally different tranny & throttle behaviour.

Remember - this is a 'feel good' mod - there is no basis for any realistic ROI based upon mileage or anything else. Keep yer expectations real and in check.

Perhaps all you need is a sticker!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-23-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^ Well, shucks - '88 went ahead and spoon-fed ya . ^^

[ Side note - these are how Edge set up the levels - those constriants may not apply to other tuning or custom tunes. Example - I currently am running a VMP custom 87 tow tune - and it pulls hard EVERYWHERE - there are NO top-end/low-end compromises. This is another vote to just go (SCT) custom and be done with it. Very little wait times as well. ]

Time fer you to buckle down and answer some of yer questions for yerself - most everything you need to know is in these documents:

Model 15051:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-277.pdf

CS/CTS:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-346.pdf

As for performance - do not expect miracles on a ~6,000lb brick with huge drivetrain losses, high rolling resistance, a poorly-geared 4-spd tranny, and possessing of barn-door aeros.

The HP/TQ gains the marketing wingnuts provide are laughable - expect much less - and realize that the gains you may get will differ from others given vast product and mass-production variations, and the plethora of different OEM calibrations (hundreds). Not to mention, individual truck's state of tune/maintenance/fuel quality, etc, etc.

A lot of folks have chitty butt-dynos as well - so some complain they 'feel' no real gains - as a small percentage of total output these gains represent on said boat-anchor, that may well be the case - but there are at least some. The thing most folks can really discern is the totally different tranny & throttle behaviour.

Remember - this is a 'feel good' mod - there is no basis for any realistic ROI based upon mileage or anything else. Keep yer expectations real and in check.

Perhaps all you need is a sticker!

MGD
Guilty as charged.....

Thanks for reinforcing the brick strategy that everyone overlooks when they thinks their truck is a sports car and has the aerodynmics of an irl car.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
thanks for all the help guys. i appreciate it

Quick Reply: edge evo performance questions