gryphon update

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gryphon update

ive had mine for a year or so with custom tunes, question is do i need to do an update or will i get a notification if one is needed? i know when i had my predator i had to update but their wesite told me when a new update was available.

thanks in advance jeremy

Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jjntj2003
ive had mine for a year or so with custom tunes, question is do i need to do an update or will i get a notification if one is needed? i know when i had my predator i had to update but their wesite told me when a new update was available.

thanks in advance jeremy
If you have custom tunes, why would you ever need an update? The Predator does not have custom tunes, so when changes were made, you could update. If you update the Gryphon, you would lose the custom tunes.

Now, say your tune was written for no CAI and you decided to add a CAI, you would need to contact PHP and have them write you a new tune.

Last edited by Bluejay; 02-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
ok thats why i was asking

Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though there may not be updates for his tunes, there might be firmware updates for the unit.

As an example, I believe PHP recently updated the firmware to display additional values (I'm too lazy to look at the forums and dig up the thread).

Before you update, go to the forums and read the Pegasus update instructions. Depending on what you are updating, you might have to put the truck back to stock before updating.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by shotgunz
Even though there may not be updates for his tunes, there might be firmware updates for the unit.

As an example, I believe PHP recently updated the firmware to display additional values (I'm too lazy to look at the forums and dig up the thread).

Before you update, go to the forums and read the Pegasus update instructions. Depending on what you are updating, you might have to put the truck back to stock before updating.
That is a good point. Had not thought of that, as I don't use any of that stuff. I just don't like updating unless there is something out there I know I really want. Too many have had problems after an update. That is just my cautious nature coming into play.

Last edited by Bluejay; 02-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
That is a good point. Had not thought of that, as I don't use any of that stuff. I just don't like updating unless there is something out there I know I really want. Too many have had problems after an update. That is just my causious nature coming into play.
I agree completely with your cautious nature. If it's working great and the update doesn't add any features you really want - LEAVE IT ALONE!

I just wanted the OP (and other users) to know that PHP and Edge are continually updating the firmware (for recent hardware platforms) and they should at least periodically check to see if an update adds a feature they want.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
yea i was refering to the firmware(platform) to see if anything had changed

Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are two other forms of updates to be considered that were not mentioned - in fact these types are not mentioned much at all.

I'm referring to the periodic database updates from the parent tuning suppliers. SCT for the Xcal2/3/Livewire platform, and, I'm presuming here because I would expect similar ongoing continuous improvements from them ( perhaps wrongly), Edge Products for the Gryphon platform.

Over the years SCT has made several such continuous improvements to the toolsets and base tuning databases the SCT dealers use to create custom tunes, for all available strategy codes / PCM revisions, with more being added as each model year progresses and Ford itself release the codes. These can yield, depending upon yer truck's specific strategy, subtle-to-significant enhancments to the tunes - everything from area-under-the-curve improvements, to ETC refinements, to shifting, torque management, power, etc, etc.

The other one depends strictly upon the talent, will, resources and effort placed into ongoing R&D, resulting in a library of hard-won platform-specific 'tweaks' - intellectual property that is often unique and proprietary to each tuner guru.

The above two things are rarely communicated here - you need to ask the tuning gentlemen if these would be applicable and/or worth it for your specific vehicle/strategy code.

Note that this may necessitate a device firmware update and/or an application upgrade to support said changes.

I have personally gone through such revisions - with noticeable improvements to the driving experience. Worth it, to me. I am not one to shy away form software tools / device firmware upgrades - but that is the world I work in so I can appreciate a layman's reticence.

I'm not saying you have to do this, but you should be aware this exists, and it never hurts to ask. You may not know what you could be potentially missing.

Note that, this type of thing requires a complete ground-up re-write of your tuning, and rightly so, will cost you.

The *Best* tuners never rest - they are always innovating.

This is just FYI -Your choice, as always.

And - to those who are just dying to use the same lame 'windbag' retort, y'all can just go **** Off right now ...

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM

The problem with 'pissing off' at a windbag is the wrong person gets wet..

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz

The problem with 'pissing off' at a windbag is the wrong person gets wet..

Depends - is he inhaling or exhaling?

- Jack

Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Well, I can assure you that 99.9% of the time, MGDfan is exhaling, so pee at your own risk. Also be aware there is no such place as upwind when he is talking.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
PHP's last firmware revision was 12/1/2008.
There is a notice on their website and forum that states it.

Quick Reply: gryphon update