My tune isnt working right

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tune isnt working right

i got an x3 programmer and have had it for about 2 weeks. the tranny was shifting nice and firm it was great. i raised the rev limiter some today and didnt mess with the tranny settings and its shifting like its stock again and i cant stand it. i paid 400 dollars for something that is messing up after 2 weeks??????? why cant anybody make something that lasts and is a good quality for once? does anyone know how to fix this? its a strategy tune not a custom tune btw... and i called sct and was on hold for 12 minutess then it said to leave a message and someone will get back to me. if you know anything please help me out

Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So you adjusted the settings and now it's the tuner's fault?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1. return to stock
2. re-flash the 'strategy' tune.
3. Adjust nothing
4. Order a custom tune from a reputable tuner if you have not done so.

5. If it happens again and you have NOT altered anything, return to stock, order a custom tune & wait.

Generic tunes can cause some grief - too many strategy variations / truck config permutations to be 100% perfect for everyone.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
no the only thing i adjusted was the rev limiter. the shift settings are still the same.

Originally Posted by MGDfan
1. return to stock
2. re-flash the 'strategy' tune.
3. Adjust nothing
4. Order a custom tune from a reputable tuner if you have not done so.

5. If it happens again and you have NOT altered anything, return to stock, order a custom tune & wait.

Generic tunes can cause some grief - too many strategy variations / truck config permutations to be 100% perfect for everyone.

Good luck.
i already did that and its still shifting like its stock for some reason. and im already waiting on a custom tune from troyer but how do I know that tunes not just gonna mess up like this canned tune is?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Rev limit affects the shifts.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
With the canned tune, you should not need to mess with the rev limiter unless you changed the shift rpms.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
no the only thing i adjusted was the rev limiter. the shift settings are still the same.

i already did that and its still shifting like its stock for some reason. and im already waiting on a custom tune from troyer but how do I know that tunes not just gonna mess up like this canned tune is?
So - upon review ( only) of the shift settings, they are set as originally supplied by SCT in the canned tune?

It's possible that you have one of those 'problematic' strategies (happens).

Very unlikely that the custom tune will exhibit this issue, as it's going to be a fully in-depth tune, not at all the same as the genericized tune you are now using.

If you are concerned, I would simply run stock to be on the safe side. I know - sucks.

This of course presumes you do not have a mechanical/electrical tranny issue of some sort - I do not believe in coincidences.....

May also want to let MT know this is happening as a courtesy.

Good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Norm
Rev limit affects the shifts.
Normally, that would be true, if it was adjusted downward ( less 'headroom' as the difference between commanded and actual rpm @ shift can cause problems all it's own if the rev limiter is set too close).

In this case however, he went 'up' so I don't see what the problem is if that's all that was touched.

Who knows what other intractions lurk within SCT's canned tunes? Law of unintended consequences?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 AM
i called troyer right when it happened and they told me to call sct. i left a message with sct they never called back all day. but anyways it was shifting at the right time it was just not firm at all. i retuned it again and it works fine now... but i drove it for a little while when it was tuned to stock and the transmission still feels like it just drove off the showroom floor. i just got it flushed a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference. i think its gonna be all good when i get my custom tune though.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 AM
i called troyer right when it happened and they told me to call sct. i left a message with sct they never called back all day. but anyways it was shifting at the right time it was just not firm at all. i retuned it again and it works fine now... but i drove it for a little while when it was tuned to stock and the transmission still feels like it just drove off the showroom floor. i just got it flushed a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference. i think its gonna be all good when i get my custom tune though.
I did the live support thingy with SCT when I received a revised tune from the Magnuson vendor who writes their tunes and couldn't get it to download to my flash device. It was during their business hours and I had someone real quick and he had me up and running in a matter of minutes. I would try that during the day instead of getting stuck on "ignore" in the phone hold queue. Just click on the link and it will show u the live support, right now its not active as it out of business hours.

http://www.sctflash.com/tech.php

Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 AM
?

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Normally, that would be true, if it was adjusted downward ( less 'headroom' as the difference between commanded and actual rpm @ shift can cause problems all it's own if the rev limiter is set too close).

In this case however, he went 'up' so I don't see what the problem is if that's all that was touched.

Who knows what other intractions lurk within SCT's canned tunes? Law of unintended consequences?
not to hijack thread- but where have you beeen mgd?????????????

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
exactly what I was thinking

Old 01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
i dont know why yall think its my fault when i just adjusted the REV LIMITER. NOT THE TRANSMISSION SETTINGS. two complete different things. someone from sct called earlier this morning and said it is either because my battery lost a little bit of power while i was tuning it or it is something to do with the firmwire and i should update that on the programmer before tuning it again. and im not gonna touch anything til i get my custom tunes anyways cuz its workin like its supposed to now

Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
i dont know why yall think its my fault when i just adjusted the REV LIMITER. NOT THE TRANSMISSION SETTINGS. two complete different things. someone from sct called earlier this morning and said it is either because my battery lost a little bit of power while i was tuning it or it is something to do with the firmwire and i should update that on the programmer before tuning it again. and im not gonna touch anything til i get my custom tunes anyways cuz its workin like its supposed to now
They said that because you apparent were adjusting the rev limiter when there was no need, so they did not know what else you might have done. The rev limiter should always be about 400 above the rpms of your highest shift, so if the shift points have not been changed, the rev limiter should not be changed.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
no the rev limiter is fine. at wot going in to 2nd gear it would always hit the rev limiter so i raised it. i didnt touch the transmission settings like i said. so there was a need for it. people shouldnt jump to conclusions so much

Quick Reply: My tune isnt working right