Do programmers really make much difference in a gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by arogers
My edge evo works very well. I have noticed considerable more power at the start which works very well for me with the trailers, better shifting and I like the guage pod. I have probably not gotten better mileage since I am still enjoying the extra power. One question I do have is reguarding temp readings. What temp thermostat does the 04 5.4 use, I normally thought they were 190 degree ones, but I am getting cylinder head temps of 195 to 204 and the dash guage is still reading around 50% hot/cold, not quite the same thing but anyway. Those of you that are in the know, the digital readouts on the edge evo (mainly CHT, TFT, ECT and oil temp), what should the normal ranges be for those displays. Thanks for the input, this site has been extremely helpful. Also the above homeade CAI topics were interesting and informative.
Your thermosata is a 195. Tuners have stated that the engine is most efficient at around 210, so I would not worry about your range. Mine stays at 195 or 196 unless it is real cold outside and it will get to 190 or so.

I monitor my transmission temp and it is usually between 150 and 160. I used to monitor my oil temp, but since it was right at the coolant temp, I swiched to monitoring my voltage. Could not do without my gauges!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueJay - Thanks! That is what makes this site so great, I usually get a response quickly and without making us not-so-gearhead people not feel stupid for asking.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by arogers
BlueJay - Thanks! That is what makes this site so great, I usually get a response quickly and without making us not-so-gearhead people not feel stupid for asking.
YUP! It IS a good site, isn't it? Here in Arizona, when I'm towing in the summer under heavy load (climbing a hill) I can get to about 216-218 degrees in CHT. That's normal. Once your thermostat opens, the only regulation you have is the health of your cooling system, the outside air temperature, the vehicle speed and the engine load. A thermostat only controls when the coolant starts flowing through the radiator. Once it's open, the thermostat is no longer in control of anything.

If I'm not putting the engine under load while towing, my CHT stays in the 200 degree range.

- Jack

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I noticed just about everyone of you guys have 04 and up trucks, what about the 97-03's results?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
just wanted to say thank you for everyone posting their experience with them. I have been on the fence with buying one for awhile. I will probably be contacting PHP very shortly to get one for my truck.

thanks again,
Ryan

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by sanndnsurf
I noticed just about everyone of you guys have 04 and up trucks, what about the 97-03's results?
It is my understanding that you get about 22-25 hp from a tune with the 2v engines.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by sanndnsurf
i have a 97 F-150 4.6L 2wd E-fan, CAI , Longtubes and true duals.

Just wrote a tune for it last night with the Sniper programer and its night and day diff. its almost like i put longtubes and E-fans on again and then some No more CEL light for EGR or the rear o2's even when im not in it all the way the truck feels smoother like i dont have to work it as hard to get it to move. i love it so far and now i cant wait to drive my truck again. its tuned on 87 oct right now cant wait to get 93oct and write a tune for that

I highly recommend a programer. The sniper is nice in the fact YOU control what is done and dont have to wait weeks or months for a custom tune.

Quick Reply: Do programmers really make much difference in a gas engine?