Edge Evo rough idle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evo rough idle...

okay guys, when I install regular level 2 it works great. When I change some shift points, w.o.f. fuel, max rpm, and LEAVE timing at nil, I get a rough idle. Any ideas?

I tried bumping the timing up half a degree and it seemed to help a little bit but smelled really, really rich. I have a drop in K&N but no other mods.

the way set with rough idle...

-speed limiter way up
-tires to 2526
-gears to 3.55
-1.2 shift @ 5100, 2.3 @ 5100, 3.4 @ 4700
-max rpm @ 5500
-wof fuel @ 1.3
-firmness at 6,6,3

Didn't touch idle rpm or timing. running 87 octane on level 2.

Last edited by beast7.3; 07-03-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Dang! I have no immediate ideas at all! Everything you've put in looks fine to me. - My WOT shift points and max RPMs are about 100 below yours. My max speed is 110. Possibly, if you put that off the charts, it could cause problems?

Firmness should have no effect on idle. My WOT fuel is 1.3 as I recall.

My gears and tires are different, of course.

I would NOT change the timing.

If changing the max speed to a "reasonable" number doesn't help, return it to a Level 2 "unmodified" tune. Verify that it runs properly there. If it does, try again with "Custom Options". DO NOT "Reload Previous Settings", but, correct your Gear Ratio (GR) and Tire Size (TS). When you program your PCM this time, your "Previous Settings" file will be "Level 2 (Stock), except for the GR and TS.

See if it works all right - I think it should.

Next, try a new Level 2 tune, "Reload Previous Settings" as your first step to regain your TS and GR and then, try resetting the WOT shifts and Max RPM - program your PCM with these changes - it creates a NEW "Previous Settings" file.

Continue this way, essentially changing one thing at a time until you find the cause of the rough idle.

This is the best I can do.

- Jack

Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jack. Yeah I was stumped too. The only thing I'm unsure of is my gear ratio. I'm pretty sure they're 3.55s but my door was replaces before I bought the truck and the sticker is nowhere to be found. Is there another place I can findmy gear ratio? And would that even affect the idle?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Hopefully there will still be a tag on one of the rear diff bolts. If you can still decipher the numbers, you should be able to get it. post up the numbers and someone here will figure it out. But i don't think this will affect your idle either.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 05 super
Hopefully there will still be a tag on one of the rear diff bolts. If you can still decipher the numbers, you should be able to get it. post up the numbers and someone here will figure it out. But i don't think this will affect your idle either.
Correct, 05 super. There IS a tag on the differential. Mine's on the right side (there's another on the left, that can be ignored). At the beginning of the second line on the right tag, mine says "L 73" which, as I recall, identifies it as a Limited slip, 3.73 axle.

And, I can't see how this could effect your idle either.

- Jack

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 PM
He could also remove the diff cover and count the ring gear teeth and pinion teeth and divide those numbers. Example...41 ring gear and 11 pinion is a 3.73

Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 05 super
He could also remove the diff cover and count the ring gear teeth and pinion teeth and divide those numbers. Example...41 ring gear and 11 pinion is a 3.73
Yea, right! I know he's missing the VIN tag on the door, but through the VIN, which is on the dash, he can at least find the factory installed gears, because everything is "keyed" to that. Of course, if the previous owner changed them, then maybe the tooth counting method is the only hope?

It's a conundrum.

- Jack

Old 07-04-2009, 02:32 AM
haha. okay thanks guys. I'll look in the morning...well here in about 7 hours, and see what I can come up with. I'm gonna take some time to see what's making the rough idle too. May do an update to the Evo as well. I'll post again as soon as I find something out (will prolly be that my tire size is somehow screwing everything up with the luck I've been having lately. haha)

Old 07-04-2009, 11:23 AM
my numbers on the differential tag:

S 919 F L 55 9 75 0G(maybe a C)30

I'm guess that means I have limited slip 3.55s right?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I just did the step by step programming. And of course the last option I get to is the one that's causing my problem. When I bump the WOT fuel up to 1.3 I get the rough idle and it runs really rich. Just put it back down on 1.2 and still rough. And smoking it's so rich (i assume that's why b/c it didn't smoke before). Even put it back to 1.0 and still rough idle and rich. If I don't change it...its fine. If I do, and then put it to what it was on, still rough idle. This is weird

Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by beast7.3
I just did the step by step programming. And of course the last option I get to is the one that's causing my problem. When I bump the WOT fuel up to 1.3 I get the rough idle and it runs really rich. Just put it back down on 1.2 and still rough. And smoking it's so rich (i assume that's why b/c it didn't smoke before). Even put it back to 1.0 and still rough idle and rich. If I don't change it...its fine. If I do, and then put it to what it was on, still rough idle. This is weird
I'd say you DO have the Limited Slip 3.55 differential, so that mystery is solved.

Why changing WOT fuel should give you a rough idle makes no sense at all. This setting should only make that much fuel available at WOT if you need it. It shouldn't effect idle at all.

I'd call Edge Tech support, and tell them what you've found. They may have some ideas.

- Jack

Old 07-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah. It's not that bug of a deal to me because I'd rather stay away from WOT. But I'm gonna update the Evo and see if that fixes the problem. If not I may give them a call.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by beast7.3
Yeah. It's not that bug of a deal to me because I'd rather stay away from WOT. But I'm gonna update the Evo and see if that fixes the problem. If not I may give them a call.
Hey, I had the exact same problems that you are talking about. Canned tune, un adjusted, everything worked great. Custom at all, rough idle almost undriveable.

I called edge the other day ticked off and the guy suggested that I update the tuner from Lighting ver xxx to the new Fusion software. I had never updated the tuner even after I got it. Long story short, I updated it and everything is great now. It even made my instant mpg go from 30 max to 30+. Everything works a lot better now.

Hope this helps/motivates you.

Good luck,
Devildog101

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Devildog101
Hey, I had the exact same problems that you are talking about. Canned tune, un adjusted, everything worked great. Custom at all, rough idle almost undriveable.

I called edge the other day ticked off and the guy suggested that I update the tuner from Lighting ver xxx to the new Fusion software. I had never updated the tuner even after I got it. Long story short, I updated it and everything is great now. It even made my instant mpg go from 30 max to 30+. Everything works a lot better now.

Hope this helps/motivates you.

Good luck,
Devildog101
Sounds like a "fix" to me! Thanks, Devildog!

Beast, I'd still call Tech Support at Edge BEFORE you do any firmware updating. You want to make sure this is the right move.

- Jack

Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Sounds like a "fix" to me! Thanks, Devildog!

Beast, I'd still call Tech Support at Edge BEFORE you do any firmware updating. You want to make sure this is the right move.

- Jack
Some of us with the older units can't use the fusion software. I called Edge this morning about the rough idle, as I have it to, and he didn't understand why there would be a difference between fusion/lighting software since it is the same files that get downloaded to the unit.

Quick Reply: Edge Evo rough idle...