Canned tune or wait for Troyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canned tune or wait for Troyer

I purchased an airaid intake and an Xcal3 with Troyer's custom tunes. It will be 8 weeks for my tunes to show up. Would you guys wait for the Troyer tunes, or use a canned tune with the intake.

They advised me that the canned aftermarket intake option on the Xcal3 is BAD for the airaid. I don't want to run too lean, and I already think my truck runs lean with a stock tune.

Thanks,
mikebaby

Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wait for the custom tunes!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mikebaby
I purchased an airaid intake and an Xcal3 with Troyer's custom tunes. It will be 8 weeks for my tunes to show up. Would you guys wait for the Troyer tunes, or use a canned tune with the intake.

They advised me that the canned aftermarket intake option on the Xcal3 is BAD for the airaid. I don't want to run too lean, and I already think my truck runs lean with a stock tune.

Thanks,
mikebaby
You posted your answer, why are you asking?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Wait for the custom tunes!
Wait for the custom tunes before installing the airaid? Will it run lean with the canned tunes if I install the airaid? Supposedly the airaid will not cause a lean condition on a stock truck.

Thanks,
mikebaby

Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you think your truck is already running lean on a stock tune, then adding the Airraid will only make it worse. It is not worth the risk for a few HP that you will hardly notice. The cannedtune itself will give you plenty of fun to enjoy, without pushing things and taking chances..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
In a word; wait.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Well you could just drive the 5 hours to there place and not wait, thats what I would do

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I think I might cancel the order and go with someone that can do it faster ..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
After waiting 17 weeks and counting from Troyer for my tunes, I called Justin @ VMP last week on Tuesday, he had me a set of tunes Thursday afternoon.

I had an Edge on my 04 F150, and these custom tunes are way better. Now I just have to decide if I should continue the wait for Troyer to phone me back (which they promised twice and never have) or just cancel the order.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Thats great Nvrenuff, always good to hear about great customer service and seeing the return on a decent chunk of cash in a timely manner.

What size engine do ya have for your 04? I have a dinky 4.6 it made a HUGEEEEE difference for me when I received my tunes haha, just wish I had found a 5.4 for the same price I snagged this truck for.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
After waiting 17 weeks and counting from Troyer for my tunes, I called Justin @ VMP last week on Tuesday, he had me a set of tunes Thursday afternoon.

I had an Edge on my 04 F150, and these custom tunes are way better. Now I just have to decide if I should continue the wait for Troyer to phone me back (which they promised twice and never have) or just cancel the order.
I'd just cancel the order unless something is wrong with the VMP tunes which it doesn't sound like there is ... I love my tunes from Justin at VMP and wouldn't trade them for the world !! My 5 year old wants me to floor it all of the time now !!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I drove up to Troyer to do a custom tune for my Magnacharger a few months back, with me being pretty much the novice and not knowing what all was involved, I was freaking amazed at what Mike does with his tunes, not sure of the other tuners process but probably similar, but I watched during the tuning/dyno process and he is unfreakingly thorough, going thru dozens and dozens AND dozens of parameters/settings it was just amazing at how detailed he was with it and knowing what to adjust for the common issues with our trucks and the issues I had, and then improving upon them, he nailed it and my issues with the stock Magnacharger tune are long gone. I would wait...also I noticed that while I was up there for like 9 hours, that he was interrupted, I kid you not, well over several dozen times with calls from customers and potential customers with questions like, what should I do, or what should I get, or where is my tune at, how come I can't get this to work, why isn't it downloading, what kind of deal can you cut me if I get this and this, I don't want to talk to anyone else just Mike.. blah blah blah....it was pretty bad with a couple dudes calling several times that day with the same questions cause they just didn't/couldn't get it...I am not the smartest dude but damn, some of these guys were just flat out rocks, more power to Mike and his team for walking thru the processes over and over to get some of them straight, I say some as there were a few that were, well ahh... just plain stupid ...I know I would of been way less patient. I can see why he is delayed or tunes come in later than others with some of the things I heard and saw that day, sorry for the long post but I just wanted to enlighten those that had never been to his shop and what probably most likely happens every day all week long. thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I have been to Mike many times, If you just call them up make an appointment you can drive there and get your tunes done same day you are only 5 hours from them, and unless you want a mustang tuner tuning your truck " thats what VMP does" check there site its all mustang. but if you do want a mustang tuner to tune you I would go with www.evoperform.com

Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
I have been to Mike many times, If you just call them up make an appointment you can drive there and get your tunes done same day you are only 5 hours from them, and unless you want a mustang tuner tuning your truck " thats what VMP does" check there site its all mustang. but if you do want a mustang tuner to tune you I would go with www.evoperform.com
It sounds like this is a touchy issue around here ... Everyone who has had VMP tunes on their F150 including me have had great results so why so sour? Have you had VMP tunes before?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by FordRacer2005
It sounds like this is a touchy issue around here ... Everyone who has had VMP tunes on their F150 including me have had great results so why so sour? Have you had VMP tunes before?

Nope I would not trust anyone but a F150 tuner witch my tuner has more than 16 years doing so

Quick Reply: Canned tune or wait for Troyer