General Question about Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Question about Programmers

I recently put an edge evolution on my truck..I was wondering if it shortens the life and/or longevity of the engine any.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rickmb150
I recently put an edge evolution on my truck..I was wondering if it shortens the life and/or longevity of the engine any.
I doubt that any of us who use programmers would do so if we thought they were harmful. Most people feel they are good for the life of the transmission and, if the fueling is set up right, you should get better engine performance and longevity. The reputable tuners (which includes the ones who designed the Edge) create tunes that don't put windows in your engine block.

But, if you drive it as if it were a top fuel dragster every chance you can, I doubt the power train is going to like it. It's a TRUCK, and needs to be treated like one.

- Jack

Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
By taking the built in slippage out of the tranny, it will last longer. My engine sounds much "happier" on the tune, so I think it will last just as long if not longer. Don't know how you could ever prove such a thing though.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
By taking the built in slippage out of the tranny, it will last longer. My engine sounds much "happier" on the tune, so I think it will last just as long if not longer. Don't know how you could ever prove such a thing though.
There is a delicate balance when talking about taking slippage out of the tranny. You can get rid of most of but not "all" of it. But the built in factory one has gotta go like bluejay said.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
There is a delicate balance when talking about taking slippage out of the tranny. You can get rid of most of but not "all" of it. But the built in factory one has gotta go like bluejay said.
Yep, what I'm talking about is that smooooth shift that auto manufacturers think everyone wants. They build them "loose" to accomplish that.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No it shouldn't unless you're playing around with the settings to mess something up !!

Quick Reply: General Question about Programmers