F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Chips, Tuners & Programming (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming-34/)
-   -   The Gotts Mod Revisited - For 2004+ Trucks (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/367998-gotts-mod-revisited-2004-trucks.html)

blueovelboy 04-22-2009 09:39 AM

jack never be sorry! you and countless other served but some payed the highest price for us and freedom and when the MSG sent me thees pics i all but cry ed and he ask me to put this in as many places as i could (so other will know just what them one the war front put up with every day! and never forget freedom isn't free some one payed for us ) and the day after he sent me this we got the news so ill never forget !
Feb.26 2009
R.I.P
MSG. Jacob Reed Crane

Tornadom 04-22-2009 12:28 PM

The seems so ideal for me. The only issue I have would be cutting the pipe (can't find a hacksaw to save my life) and sanding it to the propper shape.

Are they any ways to shape the end of the snorkle with simple hand tools? I have basically zero power tools to speak of.

newtrix 04-22-2009 08:04 PM

Tornadom,

I would really recommend you go the other route if you have limited access to tools. Go to Lowes. Plumbing Isle. Lots of Black connectors in boxes commonly used for sewer pipes. Find 3 inch X 2 ft pipe, 3" 'Coupler', Downspout Adapter. Put the coupler on the end of the pipe. and the downspout adapter(rubber) on the end of the coupler. Then you will just need a hose clamp and a hack saw. Just buy one its probabbly 8 bucks. If not go to harbor freight, I'm sure they are cheap there. Cut the pipe to length and assemble and your good to go. I used a Grinder and an air sander to shape mine and it was still a P.I.T.A. There is no way you'll be able to do it by hand.

JackandJanet 04-22-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tornadom (Post 3695874)
The seems so ideal for me. The only issue I have would be cutting the pipe (can't find a hacksaw to save my life) and sanding it to the propper shape.

Are they any ways to shape the end of the snorkle with simple hand tools? I have basically zero power tools to speak of.

Hacksaws are available at any hardware store or Lowes and Home Depot. I think you COULD shape the end with a sanding block and some 60 grit sandpaper and/or a rasp.

I'd be a little leery of the downspout connector route. This version was tested by a member on the PHP forum in a University lab and it sort of "puckered" (closed up) under the vacuum of air flowing through it.

- Jack

blueovelboy 04-23-2009 01:15 AM

THAT OLD DOWNSPOUT TRICK hay i use my hacksaw and cut some of the side of the tube then finished it with 60 grit and it looks good but is a lot of work so bring a beer or six !

LincolnMarkLT20 11-06-2009 02:08 PM

Wow what a long tread. I also did the DIY mod, cost about $10.

dbhost 11-17-2009 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tornadom (Post 3695874)

Bench vise to hold it steady, and an assortment of rasps / files will do the job... My belt sander oscillates so that would be a PITA to do this job with. I am going to have to do mine manually...

A hack saw will tend to wander making the cut, you actually will want to use something with a stiffer blade like a tenon saw, or a back saw. Alternatively if you have a friend with a miter saw, they will EASILY cut 3" plastic pipe (unless it is one of those worthless 8" miter saws...). I cut all my 4" plumbing for my dust collection network using a compound miter saw...

kd4crs 11-17-2009 10:49 PM

This is much easier, no cutting, sanding, or shaping. :)

https://www.f150online.com/forums/3818781-post74.html

dbhost 11-19-2009 09:33 AM

Where are you guys finding the 3" ABS pipe from? I have been to 4 different Home Depots, 3 different Lowes, and 2 Ace Hardware stores and cannot find the stuff locally... Who carries this?

88racing 11-19-2009 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dbhost (Post 3967772)
Where are you guys finding the 3" ABS pipe from? I have been to 4 different Home Depots, 3 different Lowes, and 2 Ace Hardware stores and cannot find the stuff locally... Who carries this?

If your located in a town where its not approved to be used by the local plumbing authority then you will have to get the white(pvc) and paint it.
Why they don't carry it is because they can't sell it to a plumber who can't use it.

JackandJanet 11-19-2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dbhost (Post 3967772)

It's in our Home Depots in Tucson. However, you could use 3" PVC pipe too, or, you might try the metal "armadillo" flex tubing (very stiff stuff), because I think it will slide right into the fender wall with no shaping. The only concern is will it fit properly on to the intake? You could simply carry your intake into the store for a "test fit" to find that out. It's possible it would slip over the rigid plastic part of the intake past the "bellows", which would eliminate the need for the bellows. I've seen this flex tube at Home Depot too.

- Jack

dbhost 11-20-2009 10:27 AM

Makes sense... I know I can easily get 3" sch 40... And shaping it is no problem... I guess just hit it with some adhesion promoter, prime and paint it flat black before installation.

Will this require a custom tune to avoid running lean?

JackandJanet 11-20-2009 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dbhost (Post 3968898)
Makes sense... I know I can easily get 3" sch 40... And shaping it is no problem... I guess just hit it with some adhesion promoter, prime and paint it flat black before installation.

Will this require a custom tune to avoid running lean?

No - you're not doing anything to the environment of the MAF sensor with this mod. It still "sees" the airflow accurately, and since you're not providing an ENORMOUS increase (like you would if you installed a blower), the sensor relays correct data to the PCM.

I've had mine on for about 5,000 miles now. This is mostly all highway driving and about half of this includes some fairly demanding mountain climbing while pulling my trailer.

- Jack

SmokeyBear 11-20-2009 01:04 PM

I have done this mod and have noticed that on a cool morning, for the first few minutes before the engine gets warm, if I have to accelerate quickly (ie to get into traffic) the engine stumbles a little. After a few minutes it runs fine though.
Anyone else see this?

JackandJanet 11-20-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeyBear (Post 3969072)
I have done this mod and have noticed that on a cool morning, for the first few minutes before the engine gets warm, if I have to accelerate quickly (ie to get into traffic) the engine stumbles a little. After a few minutes it runs fine though.
Anyone else see this?

I haven't noticed this at all. I have custom tunes though, which may make my truck do better in an open loop situation (which is what you're describing). Notice we both have the same model year trucks too.

- Jack