F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Chips, Tuners & Programming (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming-34/)
-   -   The Gotts Mod Revisited - For 2004+ Trucks (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/367998-gotts-mod-revisited-2004-trucks.html)

Groovy Chick 03-11-2009 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4 (Post 3622680)
For those of you that are lazy like me you can just remove the tube that run's into the fender well and it add's a noticable increase in power and better throttle response. With this setup my IAT's ran about the same as the outside temperature except when setting still idiling. I also got a jig saw and cut the muffler's off which improved the under hood appearance.

Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4 (Post 3622785)
Everytime I try to describe them I can't think of the correct name so I just call them muffler's. Which is sorta what they are. They help to keep intake noise down. Hopefully it will make your saturday and sunday worthwhile also.:lol:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 3623385)
I think "resonators" might be the correct name.

Here in Arizona, we regularly get above 100 degrees in the Summer. I wanted the actual air inlet as far as possible from the engine compartment.

- Jack

Originally Posted by johnnyd2723 (Post 3623393)
Intake silencer is what I always called it.

Originally Posted by 8iron (Post 3623555)
How about "Smooth Airflow Interrupters" or maybe "Power Inhibitors"?

I prefer "thingies," "doohickies," or "thingamabobs." :p

NCSU_05_FX4 03-12-2009 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe (Post 3631369)
He's been like that since I originally made the mod a year and a half ago.

Only when done on the 2004+ MY trucks. I've said my piece and if you guys still want to go el cheapo with your trucks, be my guest. At least I know my truck is running exactly as it should. :wave:

- NCSU

kd4crs 03-12-2009 04:40 PM

While we are on the subject of intake modifications, I'll throw my variation into the mix. :D Here is the link to the post for the DWV intake mod:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ml#post3632205

blueovelboy 03-12-2009 11:03 PM

jack have you tested to see if you are or are not running lean? just did this to my truck 07 XLT s crew but took it a little further and removed the resonators (is that spelled right?) no the L piece of the intake makes for a much cleaner installed look! if i could i would show but for some reason i cant get my photo album to load to my post or threads but you can check out my profile and see them if you like! and thanks be to getts for the cheep mod and it got me out of the wife's eye site !!!!!!!!!!! boy love to make stuff as opposed to buying it

Groovy Chick 03-13-2009 12:36 AM

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ilies/clap.gif If I had a hat on, I'd take it off for you, Jack! And don't think I've forgotten about you, kr4crs. Awesome information, Guys!

kd4crs 03-13-2009 12:44 AM

Thanks Corey, I am just trying to share the information. I'm loving the Gryphon! :banana: Got it on level 2 and the canned tow tune is better than the EDGE on level 2 I had. :thumbsup: I am patiently waiting for my tunes now. :drool:

golden-lariat 03-15-2009 01:01 PM

Mufflers

Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4 (Post 3622680)
I also got a jig saw and cut the muffler's off which improved the under hood appearance.

Do you have a picture of this. Also not trying to start anything, but won't this leave holes that can suck in hot air from right above the engine.

blueovelboy 03-15-2009 05:30 PM

golden all you need is a 1" 1/4 pvc cap or plug a 1" plug and a 3/4 plug if you look at my profile and look in my photo album you can see just how clean this is just add a little glue to the plugs and that will seal it up pretty good

blueovelboy 03-15-2009 06:22 PM

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0-101-0091.jpg here it is

JackandJanet 03-15-2009 07:37 PM

Bluelove - I wasn't ignoring your question earlier, but we've taken a trip to California and with the beach and all, well, the forum just doesn't have the usual appeal.

As I said in earlier posts, NO, I have not tested to see if I'm running lean because, frankly, I don't see the need for it. I'll certainly look at the plugs when I change them, since they should tell the story, but Bill feels comfortable with this mod and I trust his judgment.

I DID look at your gallery and your version looks clean and well done - congratulations. I chose to leave my resonators on, because their presence doesn't bother me. Also, I really don't want to attract too much attention to the mod whenever I do have to take it in for servicing. In fact, if there were something seriously wrong with the engine, I'd probably just put the original snorkel back in before going to the dealer.

- Jack

blueovelboy 03-15-2009 08:47 PM

oh didn't mean to seem to excited just love this mod i put my truck on a dyno and got 14 horse well 13.9 and 8 tk at the rear wheels but wish i did the same and leave the mufflers on for that same reason guess i can allways find one in a pick-a-part to replace this one hay have fun in the sun (Cali we haven some great weather!!!!!!) and thanks again

Bluejay 03-15-2009 09:39 PM

Our Home Depot and Lowes did not have the black PVC pipe.

kd4crs 03-15-2009 09:59 PM

Hmmm. It is black ABS pipe. It may not be code in the DFW area. You might check with a local plumbing supply house and see what they say.:confused:

blueovelboy 03-16-2009 12:53 AM

it can be called sewer pipe and you could use sch 80 pvc as well in electrical but you would have to buy a ten foot piece that is why the abs or sewer pipe is better it comes in 3' or 2' sections the plugs i used and abs all came from osh the next best thing to home depot Lowe's or ace might have that pipe to if you work or live near a construction site ask the plumber for some scrap most will give you more than plenty you only need 12" to 18"or so hope this helps you out

Nettershakes 03-16-2009 01:27 AM

So Ive been reading up on the Gotts intake and I am becoming more and more interested in it. I have the 05 4.2L with the big, round air filter box and Im wondering if I could use the same steps as in the 97-03 Gotts version.:help: