What Chip is good for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Chip is good for me?

Hey I'm a complete noob when it comes to chips. I have 07 F150 V8 4.6L Regular 2wd with a magnaflow exhaust system and K&N CAI. I'm in the market for a chip but have no clue what is best for me. I have been reading around the forum and noticed that the edge has an abundent amount of errors and i'm not interested in errors. Also people mention "tunes" no idea what those are so someone please drop any valuable information by here.
Thanks, and much appreciation!

Last edited by KKen; 04-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum KKen

Hi K, what you got to do is your noob homework; big news to be had by using the search, because it goes way back, like Mr. Peabody

but my personal recommendation is TP

Old 04-12-2008, 03:52 PM
The best tunes you can get are custom tunes written specifically for your truck and even better if you get it tuned on a dyno. Most people on this forum get there custom tunes from Troyer Performance, VMP tuning, or Powerhungryperformance. Your best bet is to contact each one and find which one best fits your needs if you want custom tunes. Make sure you tell them you are a F150online member. There is plenty to read on this forum. I am sure there will be plenty of people here to give there opinion on where to get your tunes but it is your decision where you spend your money.

Kevin

Old 04-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome JP. My cousin can get me a Cortex superchip for $420.00. Will TP do the tune for it if I didn't buy from them? And how much will this custom tune cost? Khindle is there any chip that is a better base model or does it solely rely on the cusotm tune?

Last edited by KKen; 04-12-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Dude, You sound like you have jumped into the boat that I just jumped out of.

Welcome to the forum!!

I have an 04 F150 (2wd) with the 4.6. I have DI/DO Magnaflow, with a CAI by K&N. I went with the Superchips 1714, at first and enjoyed great performance, better throttle response, and descent gains. Like you I read, and read about Custome Tunes, and after getting a little x-tra money, and finding a sweet deal on a used X-cal 2.... I went through VMP Tuning, for my custom tunes. 2ND BEST THING I EVER DID FOR THIS TRUCK!!!!!!!

1st being swapping to 4.10 gears with an LS unit!!

Check out www.vmptuning.com, He has fantastic tunes, great customer service and 1-2 week turn around time. He also has a 3 tune special!! Definite $$$$ saver! I ended up going with 87 Performance, 87 Tow, and 93 Performance. I have run the 93 for a few months, and the gains are awesome compared to stock, and pretty significant over the 1714 tuner I had.

Again, use the search feature, and read up!

Hope this helps!
Tom

Old 04-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by KKen
Thanks for the welcome JP. My cousin can get me a Cortex superchip for $420.00. Will TP do the tune for it if I didn't buy from them? And how much will this custom tune cost? Khindle is there any chip that is a better base model or does it solely rely on the cusotm tune?
I have an X-cal2 and custom tunes by troyerperformance.com. I had the custom tunes for my 04 and now my 07 F150. You need to call Troyer to get pricing from them and make sure you mention you are a f150online member to get the discount. I recommend Troyer based on the good dealings I have had with them and when I had a problem it was dealt with quickly. Go ahead and do some more reading and start calling on Monday to see what your options are.

I hope this helps and remember it is your money so spend it wisely!

Kevin

Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Racing2Fast
Check out www.vmptuning.com, He has fantastic tunes, great customer service and 1-2 week turn around time. He also has a 3 tune special!! Definite $$$$ saver! I ended up going with 87 Performance, 87 Tow, and 93 Performance. I have run the 93 for a few months, and the gains are awesome compared to stock, and pretty significant over the 1714 tuner I had.
Agreed !!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
And dont let the thread that was right under this... "76 days and no tunes from Troyer" stand if your way. They do seem to have a great product. Try researching their products on this forum, you'lll find a wealth of info, as well as problems that have arisen in each product, and whats been done for them. It's a great judgement of customer support when yous ee a guy posting answers and tech support for his product in the open. Says he believes in it, and isn't ashamed if there's a little glitch. He'll gladly admit and fix it. Just browse this forum ,you'll find stuff.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the great information! Guess I have a little more information to search about.
Can you all now leave all the chips and tuners you know so i can greatly compare all possible sources, it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by KKen; 04-13-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have XCall 3 with custom troyer tunes on my 07 F150
I wouldnt mess with that cortex chip from your cousin-nothing against him but the XCall 2 or Xcall 3 is only merely a couple dollars more than what your cousin would charge and they are already custom tuned

Check around www.troyerperformance.com for more info, or give them a call

Also heard alot of good from VMP tuning-seems to be growing real fast in here

Quick Reply: What Chip is good for me?