Programmers at Elevation??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Who did your tuning? .. and why do you say it sucked?

I don't understand why elevation would have an issue. I can see if affecting BOTH the stock programming and the custom tune but not just one.
I tried both Evolution Performance, and RWTD, both tunes sucked. I will say that full throttle runs with the RWTD were better, daily part-throttle driving was down on power though. When I put my stock intake and stock tune back on to sell the car it had wayyy more power under part throttle, it was very noticeable.

To be fair I never data logged or got on a dyno to get the tunes tweaked. I didn't think it would be that hard to get a canned tune for a 4.6 mustang with just a jlt cold air intake, that has to be a very common combo.

From the sounds of what Bill wrote there are hi altitued calibrations from the manufacturers, assumin thats why the different strategy's, guessing elevation can make a difference.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't say for certain that there are any designated Hi-Alt cals for a Mustang, and I didn't see any in the database that were cleary defined as such. Historically though, I find that certain calibrations tend to come from different regions of the country. Cold climate cals above Tennessee, Hi-Alt above 5000 Ft., and of course CA and 49 State cals.

Also keep in mind that the new Mustangs suffer from the same MAF issues that the F150 does. It uses the "Insert" type MAF versus the "Barrel" type, so changes in the inlet tube sizing can make a tremendous difference. The result is an overly lean condition that will make the vehicle run like a turd. This is the same issue many F150 owners are having with CAI kits and a canned Evo. I imagine that being at elevation only aggrevated this problem.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
I wouldn't say for certain that there are any designated Hi-Alt cals for a Mustang, and I didn't see any in the database that were cleary defined as such. Historically though, I find that certain calibrations tend to come from different regions of the country. Cold climate cals above Tennessee, Hi-Alt above 5000 Ft., and of course CA and 49 State cals.

Also keep in mind that the new Mustangs suffer from the same MAF issues that the F150 does. It uses the "Insert" type MAF versus the "Barrel" type, so changes in the inlet tube sizing can make a tremendous difference. The result is an overly lean condition that will make the vehicle run like a turd. This is the same issue many F150 owners are having with CAI kits and a canned Evo. I imagine that being at elevation only aggrevated this problem.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again man. The car is long gone, so not a worry anymore (I have heard the intake tube size can freak things out.) My truck will most likely stay stock and get the edge with maybe a custom tune from yourself. Maybe down the road I might get spry and add an intake/exhaust but for now it will just be stock with a tune.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I ran the Evolution Performance 93 oct tune through an SCT2 on my 06 mustang GT. Started with the "canned" from Evo, then threw it on the dyno and had it tweaked. Was stationed in Kansas at the time, ran great, took a road trip to Colorado, and my stang was choking up on hills. Set back to stock, and didn't have a problem. Switched it back when i got home, worked like a charm. Only wasted a half tank of premium... But i didn't realize how much the alititude changed things. I'm dumb on that kinda stuff.

Quick Reply: Programmers at Elevation??