Nothing But Problems With Canned Tunes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing But Problems With Canned Tunes!!!

first off i would like to say that i am not a noobie to forums, i am a site admin at another ATV site. so i know that site sponsors are important, but this has me worried.

also i was a FORD certified mechanic for year and i know my trucks, and all this should not be happening.

Ok, i finally broke down and bought a Xcal (with soon to be custom files, and a month latter still dont have the forms for the custom tunes) from troyer about a month ago. installed it and have had NOTHING but problems with it. i flashed my truck with the caned tunes and took a road trip and got HORRIBLE gas milage. with everthing set for econo. stock i was at 13-14 MPG beating the **** out of it in the city to babying it on the highway and only getting 9-10 MPG. so i blew that off, and continued to drive. a week later i was leaving the bar (3-4 beers) and my truck DIES in the middle of the road. it would start and idle back down and die over and over. luckily managed to call some buddies to pick me up to avoid a DUI! i had to tow the truck home and i flashed it to stock and it started. all was well. after that, the next TWO mornings the batter was DEAD!! (new big *** battery a month ago) making me late for work in the -5 degree weather. also now when i try to reprogram it the display is all messed up giving me weird symbols like **&%$, what am i suppose to do with this?

at that point i was getting really pissed off at this thing. so i call troyer and get the run around on how to fix it. they were saying its something with an update. now, i tow a 9,000LBS trailer and would NEVER want my truck to die on me while towing this thing. i just would never want to risk being 1000's of miles away form home and having this happen. i also take my truck to colorado for a wheelin trip up in the mountains, what would happen if this happened at 10,000+ft in the mountains. I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS. so after 10+ calls and hours of getting the run around i finally talk to Mike troyer. he explains that you can flash the truck when it is below 32 degrees!!! WTF its that cold 6 months out of the year! i baught this thing to help out with towing, and i find out i cant run this when its below 32??? that is BS i was NEVER informed and never seen this in ANY of the install sheets. i would have NEVER bought this if i knew this!!

I just want my money back! PERIOD this is bull!!!! i have been getting the run around for a month now, everytime i ask for my money back they change the subject to how I am doing something wrong. with my last phone call with mike he was busy explaining how everyting works, and i get a call at work that i HAD to take, and asked nicely if he could call me back later. and guess what i NEVER HERD FROM HIM. that was over a week ago. i have been calling everyday trying to get ahold of someone that can help me out and i get NOTHING!!!

i am not trying to bash at all, just informing everyone what MAY happen if stuff does not go rite. so right now i have 500 dollars sitting in my house doing NOTHING!!!

so to recap, truck dies and i almost get a DUI, battery dies two days in a row, the screen is all messed up and i am getting horrible gas mileage. i had to spend $500 on that???

so what if the truck dies while pulling my champer on the interstate at 75??? or when i am in the mountains 100's of miles away from the nearest road??

Last edited by preddy08; 02-08-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree my friend. You need to be calling SCT. Troyer is only a reseller. SCT manufactures and supports the xcal. Sounds like Mike has been very helpful considering that all he has to do is say "Not my problem, call SCT". Have you tried calling SCT? Or visiting their website? http://www.sctflash.com

Old 02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by preddy08

so to recap, truck dies and i almost get a DUI, battery dies two days in a row, the screen is all messed up and i am getting horrible gas mileage. i had to spend $500 on that???
i may just not be reading this right, but are you saying that because of the x-cal causing your truck to die, THAT is why you almost got a DUI???

Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
3-4 beers will get you a DUI?

What do you weigh? 100lbs?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
The moral of the story is if you're going to drink and drive don't do it with the Xcal3.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
And to think that before you bought the Xcal, you were able to drive all the way home, full of beers, every time...

Sounds like your luck finally ran out, and it could have been a lot worse. Maybe you've got it all wrong and your tuner is actually a good luck charm.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
i am just saying that because of my truck dieing i might have gotten a dui, but that is besides the point. the point is that my truck has not been the same since. since i reflashed back to stock all is well.

i just boggles my mind that they are lacking in the customer service department. i baught it from them and they should support there product. am i wrong???

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
It really has nothing to do with Troyer because you were using the canned tunes. I would call SCT

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure why the truck died on you, could be the canned tunes or just something else. Not enough info to really know.

Batteries going dead in cold weather is nothing new. Even new ones have been known to go dead. Anyway how would tunes cause a battery to go dead?

Next cold weather tuning, if you were to wait until you get your sheets from troyer or do some researching you would have found out that tuning in cold weather is not recommend with the SCT or any other programer. You can tune in cold weather but should warm the truck up to operating temp. by letting it idle(so that the engine compartment is hot and the computer is warm) and also make sure the programer is warm too. I have used this method without any problems.

Sounds to me that your problems might not have anything to do with the tuner. If you are dead set on getting your money back see if they have even started to write your custom tunes yet. If they have not see if they will cancel your order and possibly get part of your money back.

Hopefully you get these issues worked out.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by 06darkstone
so if you make it home from the bar no DUI but if the truck dies DUI?

So you are only under the influence if you get caught
Hey guys be careful cheering beers around here as it seems like he's had 3-4 beers too many. Why is he bashing Troyer when he's running the Xcal3 canned tunes and not Troyer's custom tuning

Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is your truck diesel or gas? F250? Sure would like to hear Mike's side of the story now.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
if you were a ford tech then you should know that reprograming will reset KAM. you cant expect good milage on a road trip right after you reprogram.....as for your truck dieing on you thats a problem with the programer itself not the retailer who sold it to you.

Last edited by Adam06FX4; 02-07-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Suspended
this thread smells like something familiar......

Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Who's got the BS flag......

Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Who's got the BS flag......

X2! Troyer tunes have NOTHING to do with this issue. Def sounds like a SCT/canned tune issue.

Quick Reply: Nothing But Problems With Canned Tunes!!!